Intern Tax Question?

Hey guys so I have a tax question - This year I was a Summer intern for a pro sports team (June-Aug). The internship was paid but not through a "salary," and instead we only got paid on game days. Do I need to pay taxes for this, if so, under what form? I didn't receive a W2 for this which is why I am asking this question

• NA

Since you didn't receive a W-2, that also means that no FICA or Medicare were withheld.

This means you would report the income as self-employment income.  If the total is more than $400, you would owe about 14% in Self-employment tax.

You legally have to declare ALL income from all sources. You didn't say how much you were paid in total. If you gross income from ALL sources was less than the standard deduction, your Federal income tax is $0.00 and you are not required to file.

In any case, the ONLY for for Federal income tax is the 1040.

Yes, you need to pay taxes for that. They are required to give you a W2, or a 1099 if they treat you as a contractor and paid you over $600.

Did you receive any kind of form?

You report it on Schedule 1, line 8, and then report the total income you show on Part 1 of that schedule on 1040, line 7a.

i would ask the people were you did the summer intern or a tax place