HELP! Dropped knife in toe! Tetanus?

A couple days ago i dropped a small xacto blade on my toe. It fell blade down in my toe. I cleaned it with disinfectant and wrapped it up. Days later it looks like this. It doesnt hurt though.

Does it look infected?

Tetanus comes from deep wounds caused by something dirty.  Was the wound deep?

Tetanus shots are good for 10 years...call your doctor to find out when you last had a tetanus shot.  

It doesn't look infected to me.  Where is the bruising coming from? That worries me.   A heavy object falling on your foot would cause that, but Xacto knives are light.  

It doesn't look infected, it just looks bruised. I don't see any red swelling, you're probably going to be fine. Tetanus is usually caused by rusty nails stuck in piles of dirt and debris. Not a super sharp X-Acto blade that isn't exposed to anything.

• Mystic

I'm more concerned about that nasty bruising than the cut. The cut itself looks rather small and very clean. You are not going to get tetanus from a blade like that. If it were rusty, then I would suggest you go for an updated tetanus shot.

Now about the bruises. Did that happen during the same accident? I don't see how you could possibly bruise your toe like that from dropping just a tiny blade on your toe. Did you hit it on something? Can you move the toe alright? 

I would suggest some first aid cream/ointment and a bandaid for the cut. You can also rinse it with witch hazel (probably should go with alcohol-free to avoid stinging and potential irritation). 

For the bruising, I would say gently wrap it with something to keep it from rubbing against your shoe. You can also try soaking your foot in some Epsom salts.

You should be alright, but just keep an eye on things. Good luck and heal soon!

• Diane A

rust doesnt cause tetanus

You have some bruising.  You probably cut some small vein.  Monitor it over time.  It will probably change color, fade to yellow, and disappear.

infected, no; that cut is really clean. Tetanus? no as well. and tetanus vaccinations are good 10 years as an FYI. Just put a butterfly on that cut.

clean it with a alcohol pad the ones that

diabetics use for measuring sugar levels

then apply a band aid

take Vit C daily after breakfast to speed up the healing process

wear flip flops and keep the wound

absolutely dry for a week no showers

take a anti tetanus injection(TT shot)

if you have not taken one in the last two years

• David1 month agoReport

I would recommend the patient shower to keep his/her wound on the foot clean.  DRYING the foot after showering is important.

The cut itself? No it doesn't! You sliced the top layer of skin though, and you can already see a new layer trying to reform over it. This is a good sign, it means your cut is healing on it's own! If it were infected you would see puss coming out of it (which is a white or yellowish) color, there is none of that.

I'm more concerned with the 2 bruises, the first on across your toe, and the 2nd smaller one underneath your toe-nail. Keep an eye on these two, they should be fine, but its something to monitor over the next week or so.

i would go see your doctor and get it checked out

• Edna

Pearl - Tetanus bacteria won't be found on an Xacto knife that he uses on a regular basis. Tetanus lives in contaminated soil. Besides he probably received a tetanus vaccination when he was a few months old & quite possibly a booster since then. He is protected against tetanus.

• k w

didn't you ever hear of liquid bandage, and especially on the feet, the moisture and bacteria.....I used to get paper cuts all the time, when I discovered they had a different solution for cuts, I was thrilled, I had one in my pocket, one in the car and 1 in the house...I actually used it on my feet, it was my fault but I figured out a way to heal quickly from athletes foot and regular cuts, and I even tried all the brands, walgreens brand is best for me, but I put it on all the cuts, if that was me with an xacto in my foot, I'd of cleaned and dried it of with a hair dryer, just to evaporate any moisture, Then I'd give it 3 coats for sure...even after what you did, tho I'd clean and dry first, then just 3 coats, I'd keep a close eye on it, but I think the liquid bandage would just do it, keep some handy, just in case.....

• edward

Band aid and you’re good to go