promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Would my husband and i get in trouble if we choose to file our taxes sepertaly?

So far if we do our taxes jointly we owe mobey? I didnt submit it yet. I wanted to see the outcone seperate.. is that wrong? Im so confused its my first time doing taxes by myself

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Married couples can file jointly or separately.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

its perfectly legal for a married couple to file separately as long as you use "Married filing separate" as your status. You might owe more tax, but as long as your returns are accurate and you pay the tax owed on each return there is no other way you'd get in trouble because this is perfectly legal.

You can not file as single or head of household and if you try you would get audited and could owe some penalties (there's a strict and rare provision that could allow you to be head of household if you were separated and have a dependent child). 

• 1 month ago

You are allowed to file seperately, even if you are married. You may end up owing more and be sure you not that you are married filing seperately.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, it's your choice whether to file jointly or separately. But if you owe when figuring it jointly, but owe less total or get money back total when figuring it separately, you've made a mistake somewhere. Note that filing as married filing separately is ok, NOT filing as single, and that if one of you itemizes, the other must itemize also, can't take a standard deduction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If it were not legal to file separately, the filing status of 'Married filing separately' wouldn't exist. That said, it is uncommon for a married couple to have a lower total tax liability filing separately than filing jointly.

• 1 month ago

You can file separately or jointly. The choice is yours.

• 1 month ago

The chances are that if you file separately, you will owe even more money between the two of you. Filing jointly gives you a lower tax rate than married filing separately, which is the same as unmarried filing single. You need to work it both ways to be sure. Rarely is it more advantageous for married couple to file separate returns.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would just pay a tax place to do it

• 1 month ago

You can do it separately, but you'll probably owe more.

• John
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Married Filing Separately is completely legal, and you would not get in trouble.  You cannot file as Single. 

For the vast majority of taxpayers, filing jointly results in a higher refund or lower balance due.  When filing separately, if one spouse earns significantly more than the other, more of the higher earning spouse's income will be in a higher tax bracket.  Additionally, many popular deductions and credits are reduced or not available for those filing separately. 

All that being said, the only real way to tell which is best is to work up your return both ways.  Keep in mind that if one of you itemizes when filing separately, the other must also itemize.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.