Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

I’m going to a dentist tomorrow to get a tooth with a small hole in it looked at. What will they do tomorrow?

They'll look at it. Nothing more. Your appointment won't be long enough for them to do anything else.

Then they'll make an appointment for you to come back and get the tooth fixed.

• zakfaub1 month agoReport

Guess I’m lucky and my dentist is more accommodating than most. I’ve had a couple times where I called the morning of, and was able to get seen and taken care of that day. One after badly chipping a tooth and another where a big cavity/hole came from nowhere with excruciating pain. Fixed that day.

Dentist shy away from fillings because they make no money on them. It will be oh my you need a root canal and then a crown to the tune of at least a few thousand dollars just money making b.s.  

• And I forgot a root canal kills the tooth and the nerve so the tooth will rot out and break after awhile.Then they get to make even more money off you it is a serious rip off. 

It depends on the size of the hole. You will either get a filling, or if the hole is too big, the dentist will shave down your tooth and you’ll get a crown.

With a filling, it’s over and done with tomorrow, and won’t take more than an hour. If the hole / cavity is too big and you need a crown, they will take a mold of your teeth, then shave down the tooth itself, until the cavity (hole) is gone and you will be fitted with a temporary crown. They will then send the mold to a lab to make a permanent crown, and in about two weeks, you’ll go back and they’ll cement the permanent crown on. It’s not bad, or painful at all. Just this past week my face / teeth got smashed in an accident. I got 6 crowns put on in one session. You’ll be fine.

As far as anxiety, some dentist will call in a Valium for you the day of your appointment to help you relax (although this is becoming a little less common). Also, almost all dentist nowadays  have nitrous oxide (laughing gas) that you can ask for.

Now that you know what’s going to happen, we can talk about how painful it will be (as I’m assuming this is probably the reason you asked this question and is probably what you are the most nervous about. Don’t be.

While some dentists are a little rougher than others, a huge majority of them are great and make it an almost painless experience.

Honestly, the only thing you might feel would be the Novocain shot to numb you up. But even that you might not feel.

Trust me, it is nothing to fear or be anxious about. You’ll be fine.

probably look at it to decide what to do with it

• Hope!

If it is fear of pain - don't worry about that AT ALL!! Seriously, they give you drugs for the pain - you could hit your hand with a hammer and not feel it :-) 

• Misty

give you a filling

• Hell dentist do not do fillings anymore thats too easy and no money in it for them. It will be you need a root canal their favorite money maker then it will need a crown and on and on damn crooks.  

That sounds like a cavity, and the dentist will probably fill in the cavity.

• Brian

Call the Tooth Fairy.

Probably fill a cavity.

• zeno

Drill it and fill it or grind it down and crown it.

It might get expensive. I had a root canal

With a crown for $1500.00 - $2000.00. Junk

Food only made dentists wealthy as it destroys

Your teeth.