Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Can I convince my wife to give our son the middle name Bobby?

My wife and I are expecting our first child (son). I want his middle name to be Bobby which is my grandfather’s name. 

I wasn’t close to my dad growing up and my grandfather stepped in to fill that void. He is undoubtedly my hero and he has treated me like his own son. I would not be where I am today without him. 

Is it appropriate for me to my son after him and if so how do I get my wife onboard? 

• Explain to her why you want to do it. She may go for Robert instead, which is probably what your grandfather's name really was, anyway.

Coming from a female's perspective I would want my husband to tell me the meaning behind it and then I would consider and more than likely make that his middle name

• blank

Explain to her the meaning behind it. You two have to come to an agreement.

Ask your wife you want this not may you, you want the middle name of your grandfather it's not up for debate your the father she's the mother the name bOBBY means Bright Frame 

Compromise.

Let her know that she can pick the first name while you get to choose the middle name.

If I were your wife, I would definitely honor your grandfather and be proud to use his name for my son.  I do not know why this simple request is such an issue and it is sad that she is not enthusiastic about your desire to honor your grandfather.

I would INSIST on your son's middle name.  He is YOUR son as much as he is her son, so why does she get to reject your simple request?  Let her know how you feel, which I assume you already have because otherwise you would not be here asking for advise.

My husband, his father and his grandfather all share the same name.  There can be a ton of confusion at times when no one knows which person the other is talking about. But, that did not stop me from naming our firstborn son after the three of them.  In spite of the confusion to follow, it was important to my husband that our son have his name.  

So, this request of yours is just a middle name, so surely your wife can see how important this is to you and be delighted to follow through with such a simple request as to have Bobby as his middle name.

You don't know how to talk to your wife and your having a child with her? Okay.

You simply express to your wife how much your grandfather meant to you and tell her you would like a part in naming your son.  Good luck.

Robert would be better 

In my family, the first male grand child usually gets the paternal grandfathers name if the person has passed on. It isn't unreasonable for you to ask your wife for that concession. I am sure there are names she will come up with too...so there's no reason why you both cannot make it work.

You "can" do anything that's physically possible. so yes.