Do I get a tax credit?

I work as a resident assistant at my university. We are under a new payment method, where I am receiving $13.60/hour working but I have to pay $867/month for rent (so basically my paychecks go to rent) Is this something I can earn a tax credit for because my employer is forcing me to pay for this room with no reimbursement?

If you are provided housing for the convenience of your employer the value of the rent is subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes but not income tax. Your W-2 should reflect that.

Your employer is not "forcing you" to to use this income for your room.

- You are required to live in the dorms with this job.  If you don't want to live in the dorms, don't take this job.

- The dorms cost $867 per month which you have to pay.

- You can pay that with the $13.60 you earn per hour, with scholarships, with financial aid, with savings, another job, or your parents can even pay if for you.

- the university doesn't care what you spend the $13.60 per hour on. 

• Eva

No you don't. College accommodations don't qualify for state rent credits. Stop whining. You're basically getting your room for free. That's the way it's always worked for RAs

No, rent is not tax deductible.