Is it really worth becoming a doctor if you're not really going to be living a better lifestyle than your average American?

I spoke to a doctor and she told me most doctors are saddled with like hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt. Therefore, it is a common misconception that most doctors are rich. They aren't rich because they're drowning in debt.

This makes sense.

Are you truly rich if most of your money is going towards bills and then towards paying back your loans?

Doctors who are rich are pulling in six figures per year and still have enough money to live a life of luxury.

For most, this isn't the case.

I understand that the main reason anyone should become a doctor is because they truly love people and want to help people.

However, there are other ways to help people and make your mark on humanity.

Other less expensive ways.

Not to mention, those alternative ways are much less time-consuming. Spending 12 years of your life studying just to be swimming in debt. SAD.

Most people who go into medicine do so because they want to HEAL people. Some are interested in the intellectual challenges of solving medical problems, so they go into medical research to find solutions to diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's or emerging viruses such as the novel coronavirus in China. One of my doctors told me that he loved his job and said, "Nothing beats a good day in surgery." After 30 years as an orthopedic surgeon, he still found his job to be challenging, interesting and, yes, fun.

• AskZilla

Western medicine doctors are doctors of sickness and death. Where do you get off that they want to heal people? Pffft!

I won't suddenly become rich when I hopefully and finally graduate with certification 

in my major. I will however be happy with a job/career it is supposedly preparing me

for as I've spent too much time working my a** off for little more than minimum wage.

yes....I agree with you..............

There are a lot of reasons why people choose to study a Medical degree to calculated financial gain.

Whether it’s the first choice or the backup degree option, studying Medical abroad is a long-term commitment and a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

For better assistant please visit https://www.foreignstudies.org/

• cool

Don't become a doctors because doctors are part of a satanic cult. There is still a lot of potential to make money from medicine however, a paediatrician can make thousands of dollars per week, just by performing circumcision.

student loan payments are not forever. and physicians in some areas make very nice incomes indeed ... $300,000 plus a year, or even $500,000 is not unreasonable after age 50 or so

Source(s): grampa -- i know a few physicians
  • Mike

I know a brain surgeon who gave it up because he could not afford the malpractice insurance premiums. He switched to raising thoroughbred race horses.

nurse friend years ago,,ex hubby was asked,what he wanted most out of medicine,  guy was  graduated,,building his practice,he drove a turbo sports nissan,liked country & western on the tape player,,answer     'money', medical schools amount to pharma run rackets,,they fund new wings supply text books ( expensive textbooks),connected loan companies mgrs make nice commission on loans that the kiddies will be paying back for the next 30-40 years. medical schools ( see the top 11 colleges & unis with xxx billion$ in endowments) are also quite wealthy..Docs when 2nd or 3d year residents must carry liability/malpractice insurance

an adidtional cost built in to longterm debts and expenses,,that result in more charges to the patients,,health care is often a racket,,admittedly great advances there are,,said 'cutting edge therapies' are nowhere to be found in people with no,or inadequate insurance,,whether govt  or private run healthcare. a lot of docs are in it truly to help the sick,,doing a good job with

them

Anyone going into medicine only for money is not going to be happy with the reality of their situation once they are practicing. A prospective physician must graduate college, then spend 12 - 18 hours per day (often including weekends) studying for 2 years of medical school, spend the next 2 years working long hours while shelling out around $200,000 or more to complete up medical school. After this at least 3 years of residency are required for the lowest paying specialties (much more years for any higher paying specialty though). Residents are paid but do not make very much money. They can also commonly work up to 100 hours per week giving many residents a salary around minimum wage. Fellowships are sometimes required after this for many specialties.

Once a physician finally becomes an attending, they often have large amounts of debt to pay back from college and medical school. Most physicians also have much worse schedules than the average worker, putting in many more hours per week and having to take call and be woken up in the middle of the night for emergencies.

Becoming a physician is a very difficult career and is not worth it unless you are very passionate about anatomy/physiology and have a passion for improving others lives.

• John

I have heard the "not financially worthwhile being a physician" story many times.  Its not true.  One thing you learn in public accounting is that no matter how much one makes, its always possible to overspend it.

I've been in public accounting since the 1980s, and have done the accounting and taxes for a number of physicians over the years.  I can assure you that, despite huge  gross revenue and about a 50% profit margin (a staggeringly high percentage compared to most businesses), there were always some of them pleading poverty.  

Yes, those complaining doctors were indeed drowning in debt.  It was wild and unending overspending which caused their debt problems, though, not student loan repayments.