Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

What do you do when you want to hurt yourself?

I haven't wanted to hurt myself in years so I haven't had to advert it for years, I need advice what do you do when you want to hurt yourself?

• Liz

I use distraction - as much as I can. I also use non harmful substitutes. This website has lots of people sharing methods they use to prevent self harm.

https://www.7cups.com/qa-self-harm-19/what-would-b...

Good luck. Remember that it will go away soon. If you do self help, don’t consider yourself a failure. It was a onetime mistake and keep moving forward to healthy substitutes. You got this!

Distractions usually help. Maybe loud music, the TV, a strong scent, anything I can focus on. If that doesn't work, I talk to my friends or pet my cat. If that doesn't work, I'll hold ice, or use a rubber band(however a rubber band isn't recommended as it can still be harmful however I personally would rather do that than the other things I'd like to do to myself). 

Source(s): Personal experience.

When i want to hurt myself, I am usually at home and I cry it out. Crying may not help everyone, but it helps me at times. If that’s not an option, find ways to stress relieve/distract, like word searches or word puzzles, stress relieving colour books, games on your phone or computer. Anything that YOU enjoy doing, go do. Find ways to preoccupy your mind until the feelings of wanting to hurt yourself subside. But I would really recommend going to talk to a therapist if your at the point of wanting to hurt yourself...I know these feelings too well and wish I went to talk to someone sooner than I did. I hope you feel better soon

I play a game on my phone, color or go out for a walk. It can be hard to ignore it, but I have found doing something and not sitting and thinking about it helps.

• MissA

Go for a run. Hit a punching bag. Phone a friend. Do an adult coloring book.

• :)

I don’t have an answer, but I’m blown away by the two amazing answers you got here. Maybe there is still good in the world.

You get a rubberband and put it on your wrist and every time the negative thoughts come, you can snap that. At least it doesn't make marks. Beyond that, if you still have really dark thoughts of hurting yourself, you seek out the assistance of a mental health professional or trust neutral (non judgemental) friend to talk to . Sometimes the simple act of talking about what's dragging you down can help avoid a total meltdown.