promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do the brits use military time instead of using 12 hour clock?

Attachment image

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It was all fun and games until they confused you even more by also using Zulu time? What is todays Julian date?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Because they want to.. IT should be used all over and wouldn't it be nice of we all went by ZULU TIME... That would make it easy to say what time it is in say japan if your in England etc... or even IF your in the USA ITS 6 pm on the west coast what time is it in GUAM.... err... lets see... the international date line makes it tomorrow and the time different is about 16 hours so what is the time and day there... OH OK IT'S NOON TOMORROW THERE.... 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Clarity is in favour of the 24-hour clock. Heck, in shortwave we sometimes use even higher number.

Some years ago I tried to receive the Esperanto-broadcast of Switzerland but couldn't find it. Why not? Because the schedule said it went out at 3.15 UTC, when in reality it went out at 27.15 UTC

and people who talk about "12 AM" or "12 PM" need to be punched in the face. It's either 0.00, 24.00 or noon.

• ...Show all comments
    • Zirp
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

maybe, but saying 27.15 at least would tell the audience which day to tune in

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because there is 24 hours in a day not 12.

Why don't you use the 24 hour clock?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's not just the Brits, most military forces do this.  Because we are operating 24 hours a day.  In Canada, we often use UTC, so that we are all on the same time zone. Other forces do this as well, which really helps with interoperability.

• 1 month ago

They DON'T the military uses a 24 hour clock, like MUCH of the planet.

Note: SOME militaries standardize to 'zulu time' regardless of actual time zone. Zulu time happens to use the time zone of Greenwich England, also known as Greenwich Mean Time. That has been the global standard reference point for longer than the term Zulu time.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's not really standard. I've lived in the UK for months at a time, and most people used the 12-hour clock in most circumstances.

The BBC uses a mixture. (They tried using only the 24-hour clock only, but the attempt failed.) Transport uses the 24-hour clock, but as a whole, it's never been made official in the UK.

• 1 month ago

Less confusion. If someone says, meet me at 800 hour, you know it’s 8 am. If someone says meet me at 8, is it 8 am or 8 pm. 

This is especially crucial in military attacks. Everything is coordinated. If one branch attacks at 8 am while the other branch thought it was 8 pm, the attack is probably not going to go well. 

• 1 month ago

because all of europe uses military time, in fact if I'm not mistaken asia does as well. Pretty sure the 12 our clock is used mostly in the americas

edit: I'm aware it doesn't apply to ALL places all the time, I was referring to the fact that it's not seen as out of place almost anywhere there and in america if you use it most people won't even know what time you're saying if it's past 12 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It’s easier.........

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.