promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What rights do I gave after purchasing a bad vehicle?

I recently purchased a truck from a small dealer. The price was great (even with the issue) but I was told it didn’t have any problems at all just cosmetic. After about a week of having the truck I decided to check the oil (I didn’t immediately because he said the dealership always does the oil changes before sells), and I noticed it didn’t have any oil. After putting oil in it I realized it had a HUGE oil leak from the turbo. Dealers excuse was “it happens, it’s a diesel, it’s going to be expensive to maintain” and basically told me I had to deal with it. Granted it’s my fault for not checking oil before buying and even with repairs being a couple thousand I’ll still be much under the value price, do I have any right in this situation for the fact that the truck was advertised as has having no issues?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With used cars unfortunately you pretty much have absolutely no rights when you purchase something without a warranty.  In general you usually get what you pay for.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

The answer to your question depends on the stuff you forgot to say.

What guarantees, warranties and conditions did the seller agree to in the purchase & sale agreement?  Only written (printed) stuff counts, not verbal assurances.  Did you buy the vehicle as-is, or were any specific conditions agreed upon in the contract?  That's what matters.

If you're thinking there must be some federal or jurisdictional law protecting you from buying an imperfect vehicle, there ain't.  

• 1 month ago

seems like you GAVE them the right to hose you...

• 1 month ago

"advertised as having no issues" - And? They're still sold "as-is" unless noted to the contrary in writing. 

You already mentioned that you didn't check it out before buying it (like having a licensed mechanic check it over, especially since it's a diesel). You had every right to walk away from it BEFORE you signed paperwork. 

I'm sure there will be some misinformed "lemon law, sue sue sue" people pipe up. They're wrong. They always are. Lemon laws are the most misunderstood ones out there. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

it's your problem now. Lemon laws only apply to brand new cars.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have the right to repair it. Or not.

• 1 month ago

You have no claims against the dealer. You would have to be able to prove the dealer knew of the problem and intentionally hid it from you. You violated my rule number one: Never believe what a used car salesman says.

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

none you brought the shitheap as is now you why it was cheap. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most used car sales are as is.....buyer beware.....it's your problem now.

Lemon laws only apply to brand new cars.

• 1 month ago

Check 'lemon laws automobile' for your state.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.