promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 3 months ago

i let someone put a bill in my name?

they didnt pay it and i got a bucn hof stuff on my credit report. he said he paid it, but has been giving me stories about having multiple banks and using pre paid cards to pay bills. I did let him use it but i feel it mind as well of been identity theft. if he cant produce a bank statement would taking him to civil court do anything? could i use the judgement that it wasnt me to dispute whats on the credit report?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Of course not...and you wont get any judgment.  

Try to say backsies now...if they can produce a record of your authorization (how would they even have your SS#?)...then you could be guilty of bank fraud.  

Get this account out of your name immediately and pay off the debt...its your debt...whether you like that answer or not.  

Never do this again.  Dont help out a buddy or relative.  If their credit is that bad...dont you think there is a reason?  By taking on their debt, didnt you think there might be a chance they wouldnt pay?  If not...you deserve what you get.  

Sounds like you are too trusting.  Utility companies want to be trusting...but only with trustworthy people.  Want to show you are trustworthy to others, have a decent credit score.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Live and learn. You gave someone permission to use your info. That makes you responsible for the bill. You can take your friend to court to get him to pay, but it is not grounds to file a dispute with the credit bureaus.

• A
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You willingly and knowingly let someone else put an account in your name. That alone is fraud. How do you think you can cry identity theft when you ALLOWED it. You can be held responsible and you should. You cannot win a dispute on a credit report for a valid bill. Live and learn

• Judy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It's not identity theft when you let him use your name. What did you THIN was going to happen? You can sue him in small claims court for the money, but probably won't get it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

He didn't pay it, he's lying. Get him to pony up for it, as you're on the hook for the bill.

In the future, never do this again.

• 3 months ago

It is your bill that you allowed him to use and did not pay it off.  Pay if off and try to improve your score.

Is he still your friend?  Demand he pay you back.

• n2mama
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It isn’t identity theft, you voluntarily put the bill in your name. Now the damage has been done to your credit, and the only thing that will fix that is time. You can take your friend to court, and if you have proof of your agreement, you may be able to get a judgment against him. That doesn’t mean you’ll actually get paid, it just means you’ll have the judgment. But your credit damage isn’t going to reverse due to a civil court judgment against your friend.

• 3 months ago

If someone else needs you to put a bill in their name, it;s because they don't pay their bills. Lesson learned.

You cannot dispute what is on the report. The bill is in your name, and it is not paid. Therefore, your report is accurate.

Sure, you can sue him for the money. You need to be able to show an agreement that he would repay you.

• 3 months ago

Live and learn.  You CAN take him to small claims court, but you have to understand 2 things:

1.  If you don't have documentation stating your agreement, you have no proof of the agreement unless the guy "confesses" and agrees.

2.  If he doesn't have the money, a judgement isn't going to get you paid.

Also, you really can't use any of that, if you were successful, to dispute your credit issues.  You and you alone made a very foolish decision.  As the name on an account, you signed saying you would take financial responsibility.  That's the legal agreement YOU made -- not your buddy.  

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It's not identity theft. You don't understand law. "I let someone put a bill in my name" is exactly the same as being your account. The problem is sorting through the ugly mess of verbal versus written.

Your credit is affected as real and valid.

The creditors coming after you including their collection costs are valid.

You have a dispute with the person you are helping.

What account is this about? Likely you can only close the account and deal with creditors. Taking the person to small claims court is tough without documents.

Did the person sign your name? That is your only fix.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.