promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Does your IP address change when you upgrade your internet speed, and if so, can the old one still be tracked?

I recently upgraded my internet speed, but haven't switched service providers. I was wondering if the change in speed changed my IP address. If so, can my old one still be tracked (tied to personal information) by the owner of a website I visited before the change?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • yes it can be tracked.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

It depends on exactly how your service provider defines your address.  Every computer and smart device in your house probably uses DHCP to get a dynamically assigned IP.  It is ALSO possible that your ROUTER is also getting a DHCP address for use within your ISP's address range.  There is no real way to know this without actually asking the provider.

• justgetitright
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Actually you can look at your router and when you configure it you either select obtain IP address automatically (aka DHCP) or not. If you have been assigned a static IP then you will
      have been provided with that at the time of installation.

• 2 months ago

yes it does, and the government can spy on you through your webcamsss

• 2 months ago

IP addresses are dynamically assigned by your ISP's DHCP server. Changing

your network speed is not likely going to change your IP address but then again

if you are trying to hide something nefarious, there are logs kept on DHCP servers

that will show which MAC address the address was assigned to. The MAC address

of your router will never change, each MAC Address is unique and they are not duplicated. With the MAC address there are tools available that will track you to

your front door. Your only shot would be to spoof your MAC address, do your

nefarious deed then go back to your regular address.

IP addresses are software address MAC addresses are hardware addresses so

the IP address is mapped to your MAC address

• ...Show all comments
    • justgetitright
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yes, that is true, if they give you a new router the MAC address will change. It really comes down to whether or not your current router will support the upgraded speed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The way you get your IP address is that the ISP has a number of them assigned to the router that your router attaches to.  It pulls the next available address off the top of that stack of available IP addresses and assigns it to you.

If you ever want to change that IP address, you must shut off your router, then wait for a minimum of one hour (spec says 3600 seconds, settable but no one ever changes it).  It then adds your IP address to the top of the stack of available IP addresses.  Then you must wait longer for someone else to start their router for the first time.  After all, if they shut down after you do, their IP address would get put on top of yours.  Mind you, if they shut down after you do but you start up before they do, you get their old IP address and the next person to start up gets your old IP address.

Now, if you up grade your speed, the only thing they do is change settings on their big commercial modem/router setup.  Your IP address won't change.  The ISP probably has years of who has what IP addresses assigned logged.  This means that with a subpoena, they can tell the cops who has a particular IP address on such and such date but NOT the contents of what you did then.

• ...Show all comments
    • David E
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Way too much data dude.  But if you are that paranoid, VPN to someone that refuses to keep logs, frustrating the police.

• 2 months ago

Very few (like none) web sites will track you by your IP address. There are better easier and more accurate methods to keep your information. IP's are changed often by some carriers (dynamic addresses) and IP's do not directly track to you in most cases.

• ...Show all comments
    • justgetitright
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The only way an IP is registered to you is if it is allocated, the ISP may give you a block of addresses but it is unlikely they will allocate them to you. They would likely prefer to remain in control of the SOA.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your IP address is not linked to your speed.

• 2 months ago

I doubt it. Most home Internet services use a dynamic IP address, but it doesn't normally change unless you had to get a new modem or you ask your provider to change it.

Your IP address cannot be used by another person to locate you. They can see approximately where the IP address is based out of, but not the exact location. Sometimes IP lookup pages can be way off in terms of location. The IP address my phone gets from T-Mobile shows up as being from San Jose, CA but I live around 3 hours from there.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Your IP address can be used to locate (or identify) you if they know when you were using it and what MAC address was associated with it at that time.

• 2 months ago

No unless you changed your router you have a different IP address but if it’s not a different router  it wouldn’t change, and yes your old ip is still tracked

• 2 months ago

If you have static IP then you have the same IP address every time.  But the great majority of ISPs sell you 'dynamic IP', meaning that you get a different IP address every time you connect to the Internet.

• ...Show all comments
    • justgetitright
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not necessarily, it depends on what the DHCP servers lease time is set to. If the lease time is short, you may or my not get a different IP address.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.