What can I do with rotting wood?

There is rotting wood in my backyard, some natural and some from furniture, like the back of a bed and a bed frame. What can I do withy he natural and non-natural wood? I have tons of it just piled up. Can I burn it?

Burning is just polluting the air.  Dumping is polutting the earth.  Either way, there are advantages and disadvantages of getting rid of the collected wood on your property.

Personally, I would not burn rotted wood because, well, rotted wood is saturated with water, so that is going to be difficult to burn and tending to that smokey fire is not fun for you or your neighbors.  Also, in my area, there is a permit required prior to burn day and you need additional permission from the Fire Dept to get permission to proceed if there is no threat of high risk weather or winds.

Personally, I woud hire a teenage boy from the local high school that has a truck and pay him to take the rotted wood to the local dump or transfer station.

You can burn it.  There is nothing that comes off of dried paint.  There is no LEAD. or other chemical odors as that has evaporated and dried out.  Rotten tends to be water wet...so smokes alot.  Tons?

Sure if there is not a burn ban going on.. 

Put a couple old tires on it , pour a gallon of gas and diesel fuel on then throw a match to it.

Invite all the neighbors over and have a weiner roast and make smores...

Grow mushrooms on it

Never burn varnished, treated, or painted wood. Especially do not try to burn it in a fireplace--it can cause chimney fires, cracked masonry or worse problems. Burning rotting wood can also release spores that will spread funguses. 

You might want to rent a wood-chipper. You could probably use this chipped wood as filler material under your deck, porch or in walkways. Just don't use it around plants that produce food. You will need to make sure you remove all nails, brads, hardware, any metal or iron pieces attached and put those in the trash. Or maybe you could simply have your city or municipality haul it off. Many people in my area stack such pieces on the curb with their trash, and the city removes them. 

Take it to the dump. Do NOT burn treated or painted wood. That releases toxins. If allowed you could burn the rotting wood outside. [It would have no heat value in a fireplace.]

Is it safe to burn?  Are there any local restrictions on burning?

Chip and compost it.

Check with your local fire dept regarding burn regulations. If it's okay with the fire dept, a neighborhood bonfire would be fun. I don't know what you mean by "non-natural wood", but don't burn any pressure treated or plastics.

Another option...if you have the space and patience....break the wood into small pieces and mulch over it. Throw your grass clippings, leaves and other compostables on top, and let nature do it's thing. The rot is just the first stage of that process anyway.

Final option: you can hire a dumpster and have it hauled away.

• DEBS

Whether you're allowed to burn it depends on your local ordinances.  As far as the treated wood from beds is concerned, even if burning is allowed I would not do it.  It often has chemicals making it a more dangerous fire and putting dangerous things into the air.

The best thing is to take it to a dump.  If your garbage/yard waste company allows for large pickups, then schedule one.  If not, then hire a junk guy or take it to the dump yourself.