Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Are my parents being overly demanding?

I already spend an hour each day doing my 

chores. That includes: sweeping, washing 

dishes, walking the dog, removing trash and 

sometimes gardening. When I ask for a break 

after an hour, mom gets hysterical and starts 

calling me useless. I understand everyone has 

to pitch in, but everyone has their limit - right? 

My kids don't even ask me to go out with their friends on the weekend UNLESS all of their chores are done. You live here and so you have to help. Maybe your mom being "hysterical" and calling you useless is overkill...I tend to agree there. But they're not being overly demanding. In our house, we live by "comply and then complain." That is, do what we've asked of you and THEN bring your case to us as to why you think it's unfair. 

not at all in my opinion

To be honest that's not really too extreme. Yeah your mom shouldn't have told you that you're useless but an hour a day isn't too extreme. After all It's not like she required you to clean the entire house everyday because that would be a good reason to complain.

Get a bottle of water and plan to work for 2 hrs.

This was a daily requirement for my kids.

Because in a country house the yardwork was 5 hours on one weekend day.

You should have some work done before they ask.

Dont rush to the next job...20 to 30 mins per job, thats like 4 jobs...

You're mom is angery, she needs help and sometimes as a parent when you get 2 days off to clean house it's too much. Then to deal with kids who just put in an hour and whine that is a bit redundant. 

Only an hour? You are weak and spoiled. 

Since you are whining about it I'd give you even more chores and every time you whine there would be even more chores to do and I'd take the electronics away 

an hour to do all that? I do not think so. You should be able to last longer before taking a break.

Let's put LIFE into perspective. Overly demanding? Seriously? 1 hour a day? They changed your shitty diapers FOR YEARS! As well as did all the things they are asking you to do.

What you fail to recognize is these "chores" are things you will need to learn how to do WITHOUT BEING TOLD to do one your own.

As for limits...it you dirtied it...you clean it. It's that simple.

• marty

Your parents are right. My kids had to get up at 5 am everyday and work before school and then work more after school.  In the summer they worked most of the day on the ranch before they could go out with their friends.  Be happy, it could be worse. 

You poor Snowflake!!