promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

So I got hired on the spot and the lady told me to come to work the next day and I’ll fill out my w4 info so I can get paid on February 21st?

Fast forward to the 22nd they called me today and said I had to work I asked if I was supposed to get paid yesterday.. they told me they couldn’t pay me till I fill out my w4 stuff but the lady never gave it to me TO fill out, but she did get a copy of my birth certificate and ID. Is that legal ? I live in Michigan. And I have work about 3 weeks no paycheck and I haven’t filled out my tax information so taxes can get taken out. My question is can I tell them that I don’t feel comfortable working till I get paid... if y’all get what I’m saying. Any questions ask and I’ll answer in the updated question. 

Update:

I solved the problem, thank you guys but no thank you. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You haven't worked 3 SECONDS. The lady SOLD your ID and the job never existed.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Expect to be fired on the spot if you say something like that. Why didn't you ask for the papers when they weren't given to you in the beginning? You can even download a W4 from the IRS website.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You should have asked HER, for whatever you needed.

• 1 month ago

They should withhold at the max rate by default in the absence of you handing in a W4.

You can refuse to work until you get paid, expect to be let go.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Once you fill out, the W-4, you MUST return it to your employer.  As for when you get paid..........most employers will hold your first check for a week or two - so that when you quit or leave.......you still have money owed to you.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

sure. Tell them that - they'll probably fire you. There is other paperwork, an I-9 form, that must be filled out, is already VERY late. Go in and ask for the paperwork.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Go to IRS.GOV , download a W-4, fill it out and turn it in.  If you don't get paid soon, you should contact your state labor board

• 1 month ago

i would just tell them you need to get paid if youre going to work

• 1 month ago

No. They don't need the W-4 to pay you. And if they don't have what they do need to pay, then they aren't allowed to let you keep working more than 3 days after the day that they hired you.

• 1 month ago

Sounds like it's still being handled, go to your boss and ask if it's been straightened out yet with the finance person. It's up to you to tell your boss there's an issue.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.