Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Videotaping your kid crying?

There's a video going around twitter of a parent videotaping her bullied son crying. I really think it's strange that his mother is just videotaping her child crying. I think if she really wanted to make a ranting video about bullying she could've kept her child out of it. She should've calmed her child down and respected his privacy. What are your opinions about that kind of situation? I personally wouldn't want my mother to stick a camera in my face while I cry that would be humiliating to me.. So I can imagine how that kid must have felt in that moment.

You are right, it is right up there with answering your own question.  It defeats the purpose of the forum.

Is it the video of the child begging for a knife so he can kill himself? I think the mom's goal wasn't humiliation of the child, but to open people's eyes to the impact of bullying and what it does to kids. I agree that it's unacceptable to use video-taping to shame a child; however, I don't think that was the intention of this mother (if this is the same video I'm think of). This is a mother who hears her young child expressing the desire to kill himself on a regular basis due to bullying that may not be taken seriously by the school where it is happening and she is desperate to get people to understand that what her child is experiencing is not just children bickering or mutually arguing. This is directed bullying that is severely impacting a child to the point where that child wants to die to escape it.

The video of Quaden? Who's now a NFL mascot, got a message from Hugh Jackman and over £150k so he can go to Disney land? Yeah I bet he's devastated.

I think videotaping your kid crying would be extremely miseralble, and evil. Turn the Camera Off.

I think it is evil to videotape someone when they are really unhappy.

I don't agree. As for imagining what that kid must have felt like - we don't have to. We know. BECAUSE HE TOLD US. He wanted to DIE. And people need to see that. There is no way you would be asking this question now - or even caring about this kid - IF the mother didn't shove the consequence of bullying into your face. It was a very courageous thing for the mother to do. And may very well have saved that boys life.

It’s hard to comment without seeing the video but I would say it’s the wrong decision to film even if you think you are doing the right thing somehow (perhaps to send a message or prove to their parents that they are bullying your son?). In this day and age people are too quick to pull out their phone and start recording people and I’ll be the first to admit I’ve probably recoded some things I shouldn’t have (a drunk stranger came into our house and jumped into my mums bed and refused to leave, I filmed her as the police dragged her out of the bed, I didn’t share the footage as my brother made me feel bad about it, this was when I was a lot younger)

• Lili

In the video of that child I saw, he wasn't just crying, he was talking about how the bullying affected him.  That was the whole point of the video. She didn't videotape him crying without his knowledge.

And frankly, the video has had positive results, which the child himself seems to appreciate.  There was a story about it on last night's NBC news broadcast.

Possibly when the child is older, he'll be embarrassed, but since he fully participated in the video and it concerns an important issue, he may feel that he did some good.