Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Spiritually speaking, is negativity unconsciousness as Eckhart Tolle says?

It might be a kind of spiritual unconsciousness, yet there's much more to it than that. Eckhart Tolle [and his book, The Power of Now] is the pleasant face of modern mysticism, but his teachings are dangerous. I provide this bit from a person who is sympathetic to mediation and suchlike things in this school of belief, Joseph Waligore who has a part-time job teaching philosophy and religious studies at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. He commented:

“While serious Christians would never say “the devil made me do it,” Tolle actually comes close to saying this when he says the evolving ego, or another entity he calls the pain-body, takes us over and possesses us. Besides an Indian theory of cosmic evolution and an ecofeminist theory of the development of the modern world, Tolle also has a New Age theory of a quantum leap in evolution… 

"And I praise him for being concerned for our civilization’s problems and trying to use spiritual methods to solve them. The question is whether his concern for social activism fits with his monastic meditative mysticism and the power of now. His spiritual teachings rest on this monastic mysticism, but he is taking a big gamble going beyond traditional monastic concerns and applying them to social problems…

“I am fearful because I think so many people are going the wrong way listening to Tolle and that will screw us up more. Tolle does occasionally say positive things about using our mind and rationality. But these occasional positive utterances are tremendously outweighed by the negative things he says about the mind and the deep structure of his philosophy which is built on denigration of the mind.”  

As a Christian, I would warn that Tolle's system is an amalgam of various deceptive and dangerous spiritual endeavours / beliefs / goals, but Wagilore’s website is a sympathetic critique. 

• God created perfection. What we think of as sin, fear, anger, guilt, disease and death therefore do not exist but we think it does because we listen to the wrong master, the prince of this world instead of of the Holy Spirit/ Christ.

• Doug

Ol' Eckhart is the unconscious one.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org

God created perfection. What we think of as sin, fear, anger, guilt, disease and death therefore do not exist but we think it does because we listen to the wrong master, the prince of this world instead of of the Holy Spirit/ Christ.