promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does anyone know what is this?. I want to put wallpaper and this cable is on the way. This device doesn’t seem to do anything.?

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Thanks very much for your answers, I still haven’t sort it, so I’ve put another pic with more details. Thanks 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

That appears to be 240V power wiring.

It looks like either the light switch has been moved there from another position, or someone has tapped in to the light switch to pick up power for something else in another room. 

The circular item is a standard type of junction box.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/30a-3-terminal-junction...

Whatever the overall setup is, it is very crudely done & I'd not consider it safe.

Get it checked by an electrician - they may be able to disconnect or re-route it.

It is definitely not an alarm sensor - do not mess mess with it yourself!

[Electronics engineer in England]

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Looks like electrical wiring. Be careful, it may be wiring for a low voltage device such as telephone wires or door bells, or it can be the same voltage as household current or 110 volts or more for a lamp for example. It seems to be connected to some switch on the opposite side of the door but it is just out of the picture. If there are switches on the other side of the door then these could be 110 volt wiring. You definitely do not want to touch the bare wires. You can paint the wall instead of putting wallpaper on it. Looks like it was done by an amateur because electrical wiring needs to be enclosed inside a conduit, unless it is low voltage.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert J
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It is 240V power wiring - advising someone to do anything to that when you do not understand what it is, could be lethally dangerous!

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An old door bell or fire alarm?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.