Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo MailAbuse and Spam · 3 months ago

My professor wants to send me back to elementary school because I told him that 2000 is in the ‘90s, how is that wrong?

• Brian

,                                              ,

• Bob

Since you describe your educator as your professor, this suggests that you are in college.

So you're a college aged person and you're STILL confused about this?

Honestly, what is the world coming to?

Good idea to do that.

The 1990s (pronounced "nineteen-nineties"; shortened to "the '90s") was a decade of the Gregorian calendar that began on 1 January 1990, and ended on 31 December 1999. 

Its not wong........in the twilight zone

Your professor is being way to rude. I think its normal to be confused and not understand simple things sometimes. I had a friend who didn't understand why 100 pennies become 1 dollar. Its wrong because 90s is 1990 and 2000s. Its really simple, the previous comment explained it well.

You're confused.

I guess you're extrapolating from the fact that the "20th century" actually began on January 1, 1901, and ended on December 31, 2000. 

This is correct, because there was no "year zero." So the "first century" began in year one, and so to complete an entire 100 years, ended on December 31, 101, and so on to the "20th century."

But it doesn't apply when you are discussing centuries, and decades, by year number. 

The century called "the 1900s" began on January 1, 1900, and ended on December 31, 1999 (and is, therefore, distinct from the "20th century"). 

And the 1990s began on January 1, 1990, and ended on December 31, 1999. You would only have been correct if you said the year 2000 was in the "199th decade."

Listen to your psychiatrist... I mean professor, he's smart because he's educated and knows what's best for you. 

• Alex

Because when you're referring to something being within a range of numbers and you mention something that is outside said range of numbers...

To clarify. When you refer to something being in the 90s (and I'm not even talking about year, just the numerical 90s), you're starting with 90 and ending with 99. Anything lower than 90 is in the 80s and anything over 99 is in the 100s.

Tale that to years and if you're referring to the '90s, you're talking about 1990 through 1999. Anything in between and including 1990 and 1999...is the nineteen nineties.

Nineteen ninety, nineteen ninety-one, nineteen ninety-two...and so on and so forth till nineteen ninety-nine. Commonality: the word ninety. Then the next year you hit is two thousand. The word ninety doesn't enter into it and will not until 2090.

A better question is why you think a date that doesn't contain the word ninety is a part of the 1990s. That's like claiming that 1990 is a part of the 80s or that 1980 was a part of the 70s...and so on and so forth.

Report back to the hospital, your birth has been recalled.