Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Letter from collections?

I got a letter from a collections agency saying I owe “sprint” 843$ but there has to be a mistake because I’ve always had AT&T, and I did a credit check and I don’t see anything about sprint on there. I tried to contact the collections people but they never answer the phone so who else could I call too see if someone opened an account in my name even tho I don’t see it on my credit and if it went to collections it should be there by now right??

What ever you do....DO NOT Give Them (Collection Agency) any personal information like your Social Security Number, Birth Date, Bank Acct. Number......this smells like a scam. Look Up & Call Sprint Corporate Office directly or go by one of their Stores and have them look up your "So Called Account"........Be careful with again your Identity!

If it isn't on your credit, it's a mistake or a scam.

tell them 

would your wife sell her a$$ for cash may your wife and kids get raiped...right in the a$$

Convergent Outsourcing ?? {Their local address here is Renton WA.}That happened to me, too (!) $838.35. I called Sprint directly, and Sprint said they would take care of it. {Seems like there was a customer name mix-up. Sprint revealed the correct name.} Never heard again until November when bill was $5725.76. Never got around to doing anything, but also have never heard from them again (yet). Call Sprint, and ignore the "collector."

You should call no one. If the collection answered had answered the phone, then you might have to pay, simply because they could lie and say that you admitted that you did owe the money, or lie and say that you agreed to pay the money (even if you didn't owe it). The first and most important rule of dealing with collections is to do only those things that you can do without making any phone calls.

One obvious step would be to ask Sprint if they think you owe them any money. If they say you don't, then tell the collection agency that Sprint said you don't owe them -- but only if you can tell them that in writing, without using the phone. If you would have to call to tell them, then don't tell them.

In any case, things are only allowed to be on your credit until they are a certain number of years old and not a minute longer, and then they must be removed, no matter what, whether or not you paid (the only exception is tax liens). Just because it's not on your credit now doesn't mean it wasn't there ever, and doesn't mean that you don't owe it.

send me $175 and i will take care of it.

• k w

must be a scam, don't try fixing it, you can send a copy to EXPERIAN, they'll know......

You could call Sprint and ask if there is an account in your name.  I think I would just write back to the collection agency, send it priority mail so you can confirm it was delivered, and state you have never had "sprint" as your cell phone company and you know nothing about this debt.  Let them provide the proof as they are responsible for.