promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 month ago

What is the difference between Jazz and Classical Music?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Unlike Jazz, classical music is enjoyable to listen to.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Awww - every genre has its glory and it's groaners. Not everybody likes corndogs.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Classical or "art" music is based on a very long heritage that encompasses agreed-upon forms, ensembles, notational system, appropriate interpretation and phrasing, and behavior of both the players and the audience.  Much knowledge of mechanics - reading complex music, playing instruments to a high standard, within the agreed-upon style and using the playing techniques that are called for my composers, is all a starting point.  The written music itself is intended to display a mastery of the various historical compositional styles and genres - and still leave room for modern divergence, and interpretive creativity - even in many of the older works as well.  Jazz in based on a combination of Western instruments and notation, with roots from Africa and the blues, as well and many folk traditions.  Although many  jazz players have excellent reading skills, the essence of performing jazz is the ability to improvise, based on the material stated in the beginning - written or by ear.  My husband and I have performed many modern works that have been written by jazz composers, and include some jazz elements, but we do not improvise in jazz styles; the closest we get is determining the ornamentation in a Scarlatti sonata, or a Telemann Fantasy!  We would never call ourselves jazz players, and would be intimidated if we were asked to *sit in* with some of our jazz colleagues. 

• EXZTNZ
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Not sure but I think jazz has more trumpet and saxophone sounds, and classical has more violin. The latter is probably inaccurate because I don't listen to that. I like listening to jazz sometimes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Jazz has roots in blues music. Which has origins from Africa. In the PBS Ken Burns film series "Jazz" it makes the claim that jazz is America's classic music.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

This was an excellent series!  We own it - and now that you reminded us, I should take it out an binge it again. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Don't be stupid.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.