Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 3 months ago

Can normal CCTV camera at a cafeteria/bar zoom in and read my text messages (of what I type on my smartphone), in case I stay 20 feet away? ?

Not likely, at least not at such a location. Geez, are you saying you cannot do your texting in a position that would make it impossible for a camera to read? Why would anyone CARE anyway? Are you going in looking like a terrorist with a big bulge under your coat looking like a bomb? Quit being so freaking paranoid or at least stop texting anything you do not want to be seen by some stranger. If you are in a public place using some public WiFi, you have a massively greater "risk" of someone seeing your text rather that some camera zooming in on you.

This world today astonishes me. I don't own, have never owned, and never will own a god damned cell phone.

• Kris3 months agoReport

You are a cave man

No, I would not worry unless your taking about Fort Knox or CIA CCTV

yes... so be very very careful what you say as others can read it.

my gaurdian angel my guardian dear dont let my my catholic church die put cctv in every school so no child get sexaull abuse alex vella is no longer king of me or australia the liberal party is there is the head of there apple and microsoft can turn you against each other

• keerok

Even if it does, why would anyone do it anyway? You're being paranoid.

Not sure why a coffee shop would have such cams but casinos have them for sure.

What is considered a "normal" CCTV camera? The camera's resolution and type of optical zoom will determine how far and how clear the video will be.

• Iridflare

1080p doesn't tell you anything useful about the camera.  Some info about the lens might help.

• Frank

It's very possible that it could.  CCTV cameras use small sensors which need a small image circle projected from the lens.  This means that the lens will be very small especially when compared to a full-frame camera.  Just take a look at some of these super-zoom cameras which have upwards of a 60x zoom lens.  They're not expensive at all.

So if the camera has such a zoom lens and you're within 20', then it most definitely could read your text messages.  Problem is that there's no way to know what kind of lens the CCTV camera is using if it's covered up.  If the lens is exposed, then of course you could read the focal length on the lens.

On the bright side, most CCTV cameras use a fixed lens, so while it's possible for a CCTV camera to read what's on your phone, tablet or laptop, it's unlikely.

• Robert

Some cameras can be remotely controlled. I don't believe the quality would be good enough for one to read your messages unless you held the phone facing the camera and were perfectly still. But in these Orwellian times, who knows? Read with your hand covering the screen if you are worried. As far is knowing what type of phone, most people can figure out which brand you use at a quick glance.

• Dze

it takes an expensive camera to do that and i doubt a cafeteria has one ... but ive seen them in some businesses that yeah, can zoom in and read your text from 50 yards away ...