Kat asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

is it ok to use your credit card for everday purchases or just for large purchases?

i have captial one quicksilver card

i use it for groceries, online purchases and always pay it off a week or two weeks later (on time)

it hasnt affected me as of yet but if i keep doing it i will it?

i just love the cash back i get

There is no problem using a credit card for everything AS LONG as you have things under control.

If the card has some kind of points scheme you build up your points.

If you use it for every day, pay immediately, Only reason to do so is get the points.

• John1 month agoReport

You don't literally have to pay it immediately.  It's ok to wait for the bill to come, just pay it off in full when it is due.  There are plenty of reasons to do this.  My reason is so that I don't have to make daily trips to an ATM (and pay ATM fees) to get cash.

I use credit cards for all my purchases but I only buy things I know I have the money for and I pay in full every month on the due date via auto-pay.  They pull it from my bank account automatically on the due date so there is no thinking.

You can pay early but there is no benefit. I don't because I want to earn as much interest as possible in the meantime. (My checking account pays 3% in exchange for some debit card transactions each month. 10 to be exact, I buy ten 50 cent Amazon gift card reloads)  Otherwise I don't use debit cards for the security issues.

{I use my cards for everything (almost).} General rule is to not spend more than 30% of your limit.  If your limit is high enough WAIT for the monthly statement, review it, and pay within terms (preferably in full). If you have a zero balance from always paying early it will look like you are not using the card, and your score will not go up.

It is fine as long as you are able to pay off your monthly charges on time and in full.  The danger comes when you overspend and start having an unpaid balance that is costing you interest and damaging your credit. 

That helps your credit. Using and paying on time improves your score.

The problem with using credit cards, is people tend to spend more than they usually would.  One of the tricky ways they do this, is to offer cash rewards.  Congrats - you've fallen into their trap.  

I use my card for groceries.  But otherwise I use my checking account & cash.  That way, I know when my check account is getting low, to watch my spending.     

• SumDude

I use my cc for everything, and then (automatically) PAY IN FULL every billing cycle. If (people in general) have cash for stuff, another option is to buy with a cc and leave the cash in the bank until the bill comes due. Either way, self-discipline is the key.

• Judy

You can use for everyday purchases. Could be a problem for you if you carried a balance, but since you pay it off each month, won't get you in trouble. And yes, the reward points are nice.

That's fine as long as you are paying it before interest is charged.

• .

That's fine.  But you have to be careful not to overspend on everyday purchases and don't pay utility bills with a credit card because you usually have a fee for that.  But other bills, like your cell phone, won't charge you for using a credit card.