Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Did Britain also have any internment camps for Germans, Japanese, and Italians, similarly to the U.S.?

NO, we had POW camps

• Ludwig

Yes indeed. We stuck all the germans and Italians on the Isle of Man, or sent them to Canada.

• Cogito

Yes, they did.  There was one near where my family lived, in mid-Devon.  My father was in the Home Guard and they captured a very young Italian pilot who crash landed near the town.  He was just a scared kid and after my dad had handed him over to the POW camp he was allowed to visit and for a year or so, until 1945, the young man was allowed to go home with my dad every Sunday, where he joined the family for lunch and tea, before he was escorted back to the camp. 

They did - civilian 'enemy aliens' were sent to the Isle of Man. Of course many had fled from persecution in Nazi Germany and many were released after a short time.

The UK had prisoners of war in 1945. They were not strict internment camps; some even visited local people on occasions.

• C

Yes, for enemy aliens which somehow numerically meant mostly "Italians."  Many Italians were deported to Canada and Australia.  There were terrible tragedies when ships were sunk because they were imprisoned below deck.  The rounding up of the "Italians" was a shameful episode.  I put Italians in quotation marks because many were 2nd and 3rd generation and only learned to speak Italian in the camps.  I had a much older friend who remembered when they were rounded up on this very street.  He said neighbours turned on each other and their shops and flats were looted and friends he didn't even know were Italian disappeared from school overnight.  My ex-husband's father and first wife took in a neighbour's daughter so that she wouldn't be sent to a camp with her parents.  They raised her and she loved them but not the country.  She emigrated to the US after the war.

By internment camp standards they weren't terrible, conditions were lightened as the war went on and many men were eventually allowed to enlist.  It was as if the government realised that they'd overreacted.  They didn't so much climb down as creep back.

Yes they did, in various crown possessions and dominions across the globe. Generally these were used to transfer civilians from enemy nations via neutral third parties.

No they did not. The US had camps only for Japanese, not Germans or Italians.