Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Other than reading, what hobbies do famous authors have? Like, what do they do to take their mind off of their writing?

Nobody writes 24/7. What do J K Rowling and Stephen King etc do to unwind?

I don't know what THEY do, but I agree with the nobody can write 24/7 thing. I don't know what it is. I thought my story was crap, I stopped writing? Whatever. I watch movies/tv (recordings, fast forward through commercials). Listen to music. Read.

Stephe King destroys his mind with drugs

• mars

Art, Music, Nature Walks, Cooking

They are just normal people. They do what everyone else does, except in the two people you mention they are very successful and well off.

King plays guitar. I've played poker with him, but I don't know how often he does that. Some authors garden. Some fix up old cars or carve wood or raise miniature llama.

Well, if they're anything like me, they probably relax by pulling the wings off butterflies, sorting them by size, weight and colour and sending the results to the British Museum at the end of each month . Not that I'm saying they do, you understand; it's just that they're (mostly) human too and they almost certainly get up to the same kind of psychopathic sh1t as us "normals" do. Hope this helped.

• Cogito

They all have hobbies, like most people.  They also have families, friends, activities, interests, etc.

To be a good writer you need to have many interests, a wide view of life and a very broad range of interests.

• Sir Caustic

Very sensible. Yes.

Drink....They would avoid reading other authors, to not accidentally do a Copyrights infringement error.

Hunter Thompson.    Raymond Chandler.    John Cheever.    O. Henry.    Tennessee Williams.    Dylan Thomas.    Dorothy Parker.    Truman Capote.Steinbeck

Poe

Stevenson

Stephen King, is an exception, he reads and is deep into Politics.

So is J K Rowling, her hobby is Reading, along with  Writing children's books.

• Silver

Well, everyone chills and reads and watches TV or whatever, but on the level you've listed, they're millionaires. They spend a lot of their time doing charity and bashing Republicans.

JK Rowling is a keen cook, she paints and spends time with her family. Much the same as any one might.