Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 3 months ago

Does the water/electric meter reader come to your house these days?

Or can it be done remotely by computer now?

I remember as a kid a guy in a jumpsuit coming into the yard to jot down what the dials and such said on the side of the house.

• ?

not mine.. its electronic and I have to pay for that cost to.. 

Inside the house is the original analog meter.  It sent a current to the side of the house outside where there was another analogue meter  with numbers or dials(I only had numbers like a car's odometer) which measured water per thousand gallons used.  So when you saw a 1 on it, 1000 gallons of water was used by the house.

.  The outer analog meter got replaced by a different electric box that transmits the signal out to water meter readers who drive by and point their gun at it...which gives them the numbers that is on the analogue meter inside the house on the original plumbing.  It is in code so no one else had the water meter coding(nor care to have it either).  They mark it down by driving by.  No need to enter the property. And the meter man still has a job.

No. Both are read remotely by a transmitter installed in each meter. Just about all utilities are doing this because it is cheaper and just as accurate. 

It does depend on where you are.  Here, we currently read our own electric meter when prompted to and submit the readings.  If you don't,  they'll estimate the usage. They are also required to physically attend at intervals and read the meter themselves, I forget whether it is every 12 months or two years. They are trying to install smart readers in every home which will submit readings regularly by using their own secure wireless smart data network. The energy readings are encrypted and sent to the supplier in a similar way to how your mobile phone sends and receives information. The signal goes back to base, there's no "drive-by" reading.

The water meter is out in the road and we never know whether they've read it or not until we see the bill.  We're not required to read it. Sometimes that is estimated too.

• y

Supposedly they drive on by and it automatically connects wireless and reads both my gas, and electric meter. But some of my bills are still actual and some are estimates. Which seem odd to me.

for water meters yes mostly 

Electric smart

meters  the

information is transmitted back to

base .

• Elaine

Where I live the electric meter is outside but was changed to a smart meter so no comes to read it.  The city installed smart water meters inside the houses and no one comes around to read it. . 

My electric meter is outside, attached to my house. There used to be a meter reader who came by foot to read the meter. Now it is done remotely, but I am not sure if it is done by a drive by or through an office computer.

• Speed

Where I live now and at the place we most recently lived before moving here, meter reads are done without entry.

It didn't happen instantly, of course, but it had to happen because a great many houses have no one at home during the day, or someone who is not comfortable admitting some stranger with a clipboard or device.

In some places, new construction has all meters positioned outside, and meter readers "scope" (use a telescopic device) to read them without entering the yard when that's possible. That's what I have here, a house built within the last twenty years, all meters outside, although the meter reader has to enter the back yard.

In other situations, traditional meters located indoors are gradually being replaced with meters that send a weak signal of their readings, detectable to a device on the street. This is expensive, and somewhat difficult since it requires entry to do the replacement.

(And a surprising number of people have managed to encase their meters in ways that are not allowed by the utility company, which need to be ripped out to replace the meter. Ours was inside a built-in cabinet, done by previous owners, which we had to take down and re-mount. The replacement employee told stories of meters with only the dials showing behind brick walls, a stone fireplace, and glass blocks.)

• P

About 2 years ago they installed smart meters in my neighborhood and no one comes anymore.