promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 3 months ago

Does air in a person''s crawl space and/or attic typically enter the home? Also, does the air in them ever "leave" or is it somehow sealed?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

When they installed the skirting om my crawl space they included SIX thermostatically controlled louvers.

They close at approx. 45*F and open at approx. 55*F and the wind takes care of the air flow.

The actuation is by a coiled bi-metal spring.

The skirting has been on for 3 years and it smells fresh under the house.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

No, the air in the attic does not enter the home(the area you live in). It stays up in the crawl space until it is blown out(as that air is always moving)  At the ends of the house you have a gable (where the roof peaks and on the outside wall you have a vent(which has a wire mesh on it to stop bugs from entering) 6"x12" or larger that allows cold air to enter or leave.  Up in the crawl space is just insulation which insulates the "BOX" you call a room down below.  That box is what you maintain at a living temperature 60F or so.  What happens up in the crawl space is not your concern as that is a dry space and allows the wood to dry out and for any moisture that enters from you living down below , for that moisture to also escape into the environment.  Dry wood does not rot.   Air, when it is heated expands and is blown out through the gable vents or soffit vents.  The air is always cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  Insulation of the "box" protects you in the house from experiencing those changes in temperature.

• 3 months ago

Depending on how tight your house is air from the crawl space may or may not seep into the house. Air from the attic seldom enters the house because warm air rises usually air from the house enters the attic. Doors to the attic from the house are seldom fitted with weather stripping so it is easy for air to rise to the attic. 

• 3 months ago

There is a deliberate vent from the crawlspace into my house to bring fresh air ( i e full of oxygen) in for the burners of my gas furnace; and then there is a vent above the area of my gas furnace. {Cold air would come down through the ceiling vent under certain conditions.}  Setting aside this case, yes, crawlspace and attic air moves / leaves. There are vents at both ends of the house so air will not get trapped and become stale.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

@eyecue_two is correct, with a caveat dependent on the age of your home.  Your house SHOULD not get air from the crawl space, but there are ways for some air to come up in to the house as houses age.  I was once under our house (built in 1966) and was using a cigar (don't ask) and my wife could smell the cigar coming up from the crawl space.  Every hole drilled for electrical or plumbing will allow air to come up, though slowly. 

• 3 months ago

The ,movement of air in a crawlspace or attic is thermally related unless there is wind that can cause a pressure differential in the area. If there is no wind the air wont enter the living space despite the thermal movement. There are vents present in both cases that allow the exchange of outside air and the air in the spaces.

• 3 months ago

That is a very good question as you don't want the smell of decomposition to enter either the home or the neighborhood because of the dead bodies you are storing down there.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.