Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 6 months ago

If you are married, when you were a child did you have an idea of what your wedding would be like? How far did it match what it was like?

As a child I always thought I'd never get married. So even the tiny courthouse wedding I did have would have stunned my childhood self.

• GB

When I was a pre-schooler, my mum had a collection of wish-bones she said she was saving for my wedding.  I imagined  them being covered with white silky material and being used to trim the front of my dress!  At age 21, I had a white wedding, but there were no wishbone trimmings on my dress.

The only thing I knew was I wanted to get married in my locoal church and I did. Funny thing is I am and never was religious.

My Big Momma and I planned the wedding together when I was eight years of age or younger.  My wedding was everything exactly as planned and better because I lived the wedding plan.  I already knew who I would marry...I knew him since I was a baby.  We'll always be together.  I have always Love my husband.  He's my dream come true.

• sarah

I wore a white dress. That's about all the childhood fantasies had in common with the actual day, lol. As a child, I imagined it being this $100,000+ affair...and now, looking back five years after the wedding, I couldn't be happier with the $5,000, simple, country shindig that it was. I think a lot of it depends on how your personality shapes up once you grow up and how your husband/wife's personality is. Me and him are both simple, laid-back, no-fuss people, and our wedding was a great reflection of that.

Yes, but my actual wedding was nothing like it.  Why?  Because my image of my wedding evolved through the years.  What I thought I wanted as a child wasn't what I wanted as an adult and I didn't marry until my 30's.  Of course the expense had to be considered too.  But no regrets, it was a great party I will never forget. Looking back I realize what a waste all the grandeur I imagined as a child would have been.   

• As a child, I never thought about getting married but now I am. 

I never thought about having a wedding as a child, so I had no idea what I wanted when it came time to plan one. But it all came together once I started picking colors and the date. 

• Edwena

We had about the most simple and quick wedding possible. More like an errand or trip to the store than a ceremony. We talked about redoing it with a bigger, more formal wedding, but decided it was not worth the expense or the work. Of course, it was nothing like I though I would have, even up to the time of the wedding.

That seems a thing with which girls are inculcated rom a very young age - especially with all the ostentatious pageantry.  The term "Bridezilla" has existed for decades, & you hear of instances of this frequently.  You NEVER hear of a "Groomzilla", & I doubt that you ever will.   Men just don't think about that sort of stuff.  I never had any notions of a wedding.  When my wife & I decided to do it, we made it as quick, cheap & easy as possible.  That worked - we're still going strong more than 24 years later.