Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 11 months ago

Do antidepressants really work?

My anxiety/depression is very mild- however I have the occasional sessions throughout the year where my body starts freaking out. 

I have tried NUMEROUS natural supplements for anxiety/depression and NONE of them did a single thing for me. Even tried CBD oil & nothing happened - if anything, I felt as if it made my a/d worse. 

Recently I’ve been in a funk. Prescription medication is my absolute LAST result. I just want to know...do they really work?? 

I’ve given up hope on herbal supplements but if you know any methods that absolutely work, then please let me know! :)

I’ve been on plenty of antidepressant and it depends, if you have low energy depression and have trouble being productive then Effexor or Wellbutrin would work, but they give you energy, so if your anxious it will make that worse, SSRI typically just slow you down 

Antidepressants are not recommended for mild depression.

The good news is that there's a lot of things that can help, probably a lot of things you're not aware of. 

The best treatment for a case of depression is often a variety of treatments. There are low-cost, low-risk things that have  evidence to back them up. The great thing about them is that they can be combined with each other and with the standard treatments.

The healthy lifestyle things that are good for depression come under the category of stress reduction, which can also help with anxiety.

A good habit for stress is responding to moments of stress by slowing your breathing.Other things take some effort but they're very rewarding - things that make your life meaningful, like a good hobby, art, or volunteer work.

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

This answer has details about a variety of things, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

• LAN

Only if you actually have real depression instead of having a childish need to claim you have depression.  Some one who is really depressed would see a doctor instead of just taking "natural" remedies.  Stop attention whoring and grow the fvck up.

• Andy C

Not for you. They aren't like aspirin or ibuprofen that is taken on a as-needed basis. They require up to three weeks to get to a level of effectiveness.

Minor anxiety and depression is pretty easily manageable by regular exercise and a healthy diet (meaning one w/o added sugars).

Start exercising every day and twice on days you feel are in a funk. Exercise = 30+min physical activity. You don't have to go run a marathon.