no matter what I do, my singing technique is horrible, my voice is weak and im constantly straining my throat. how could i get more support?

My head shifts forward when singing, and i think there also may be problems with my tongue in the way. anything that could be tense i believe is, I focus for hours on using my diaphragm. I believe i know how to breathe with it, but how do i use that air as support?

You need some lessons.

ask someone to help you practice singing

• RJ

The first step towards becoming a better singer is to take face-to-face voice lessons from a qualify voice teacher. The teacher will listen to your singing and offer guidance and feedback about your vocal progress  

Here are some tips about finding a voice teacher:

The teacher has an excellent ear, and carefully listens to, and gives you accurate feedback about your voice.

Has an understanding of vocal anatomy, including the respiratory muscles, the larynx and throat structures, and how they affect singing.

Allows you to tape record lessons or exercises in the lesson for take-home practice. Provides you with written exercises when needed.

Is professional in conduct yet personable. You should feel comfortable with this person. You should feel free to ask questions.

While being emotionally supportive, he or she should be able to challenge you to grow as a singer at the same time.

The teacher should be able to explain to you in depth why you are doing each exercise that he or she gives you.

If available go to a recital where this teacher's students are performing. If they mostly sound great then this is probably a very good indication of a competent voice teacher.

Avoid teachers who only take on students who are already professional vocalists. A good teacher can train any voice and would enjoy the challenge of doing so.

The teacher shows genuine interest in you as a singer.

The teacher understands vocal health issues including the need to drink water and monitor the speaking voice

Addresses the need to relax those tensions/muscles that can block good vocal production and vocal freedom.

Is emotionally stable and does not intimidate or talk down to you.

Your voice feels easier and more resonant when working together

You are born with a natural vocal range. As such, it is not possible to expand your vocal range. However, it is recommended that you take face-to-face voice lessons from a qualify voice teacher. The teacher will listen to your singing and offer guidance in singing correctly, which may lead to your being able to sing notes that you were previously unable to sing and thus expanding your present vocal range.

Source(s): I am a professional singer
  • SW-6

Maybe drop down to a lower register.  You might just be trying too hard singing soprano when you should be at tenor.  Maybe use your head voice or falsetto to hit those higher notes.  Good luck to you :) 

Perhaps you don't possess the talent for singing. Have you tried taking voice lessons? A voice teacher who is honest can tell you if you have potential as a singer.

So get a new teacher and do what they say. If you're serious about it then you will become better.

One way to make sure you are singing from the diaphragm is to lay down when you sing.  When you do this you have to use the diaphragm to breathe.

You should get some professional vocal coaching.

If you continue to hurt your vocal cords you will not improve and may permanently damage them.

a fax machine and a plunger