Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 months ago

Got approved for apartment but they said they were gonna clean it before I look at it. Been waiting for call 3 days. How long should I wait?

Before I call them?????? Is that weird?

• Carmen

Yes call to see what's going on waiting only makes you over anxious unnecessarily then you will know if it's really yours or not so you can breath easily and have peace of mind and a calm heart.

Call them now if you want - if they haven't done it, you should be able to get a time when it'll be done, and you should be able to make an appointment to view once it's done

• Judith

No it is not weird.  Whoever it is who cleans their apartments probably has other places they clean as well.  Also, where I live, they do whatever maintenance is needed, replace carpets if need be, paint and only after everything else is done do they have someone come in to clean the apartment.

However there is no reason why you can't call them and ask for an estimated date.

The person who said it only takes an hour or two to clean a place doesn't know what she is talking about.  My housekeeper used to clean vacant apartments in my building and many of them took 8 hours or more.  They clean appliances - can you even begin to imagine how filthy some people leave stoves and refrigerators, showers and toilets?  They wash windows inside and out.  Clean inside of cupboards.  Clean lighting.  Closets.  The very last thing they do is vacuum.

Some apartments have their maintenance staff get vacant units ready, including cleaning, in which case they are busy doing other things.  Our maintenance guy takes care of 3 wings, 8 floors with about 18 apartments to a floor.  He works on the vacant units when he can fit it in and only when he is done with his part is it turned over to the cleaning staff.

Usually several apartments become vacant at once - at the end of the month.  There are studio apartments, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments with 1 or 2 bathrooms.  Usually they will get the apartments which cost more to rent ready first.

It's been 3 days. Call them back. It doesn't take more than an hour or two to clean the place, unless it was trashed.

Not at all weird, but no harm in calling them now. Its quite possible they are busy with other stuff and just haven't gotten around to it. Also quite possible its in terrible condition and they need more time to clean it (cleaning it could include painting it top to bottom for all you know). Still, no harm in calling now and just seeing how much time they think they'll need.

• Maxi

I am a landlord and have been for more than 2 decades, I use a manageing agent and when one tenant leaves, that day or the next day the property is cleaned, if it needs repainting or whatever else needs doing and is ready for viewings normally within 24 hours after the last tenant left....... people need clean quality homes and any landlord needs good quality tenants, not empty properties as that helps neither landlord or tenant........... I would be thinking that if it takes them 3 or more days to clean/get it cleaned for viewing then they are not very good landlords/agents...think on if you as a tenant take the property and have a leaking radiator or boiler break down......... how long will they take to get someone out to fix it as if I was the tenant I would want it that day or next day...not 3 days or 3 weeks later

Give them a week to clean it, you dont know what other projects or things they have lined up before addressing this one unit.  

Not unusual. Once the manager locks in a new tenant, they need to call one or more companies and set up an appointment to do the cleaning. That could take a while, especially since we just had a holiday weekend.

it took a week and a half for them to clean it when I was looking. I figured if it took them that long to just get it cleaned, it would take long to fix anything that might break. So I looked elsewhere

wait a week and then call to schedule a viewing