promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Best way to teach pup to be calm for nail trims?

8 month old puppy, and I want to trim his nails at home. I know dogs aren't the calmest when going through this, but what's the best way to get him used to it? The last time they were cut was when the vet did them during his neuter. They weren't that long before, it was just nice to see.

Treats, distractions? Trying to hold him down calmly? Fur burrito? Have a helping hand? Let me know please, want to try.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It really shouldn't be an issue if you have any kind of relationship with your dog.  If your dog's nervous, you stay calm.  Period.  There's also no reason on earth to do all 4 feet at once if your dog's really afraid of it.  After having dozens of dogs, I've never had a real problem yet with doing nails.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as hes not a working dog who relies on long nails when dragging people out of danger zones like ice or even concrete.  Born to drag and save. Those nails are his tools.

• 1 month ago

The best way was to start six months ago, gradually getting the puppy used to you handling its paws and claws, and then gradually using whatever you plan to cut the claws with, one or two claws per session, working up to cutting all of them at the same time, being very careful not to cut into the quick. Give praise and treats if the dog doesn't fuss. The dogs who fuss are usually the ones who didn't get introduced to it properly, as well as dogs who have learned to get their own way. It is not true that a dog will always object to having its claws cut, as you seem to think it is.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

We adopted him at an older age, so... We've been touching his paws constantly, as we have cats and that rule is the same.

• Mercy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

one a day/or week. Not all at once.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mandy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It would be best for a professional to cut his names.  They know how to do it without hurting him. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Doggy treats will distract him. He will also come to associate the clipping with a reward.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.