Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Donating blood?

Can you drink alcohol 4-5 hours after donating blood? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Brian
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

General rule of thumb is not to drink any alcohol for 7 to 8 hours after donating.  However, small consumption after a few hours is ok if you don't over do it.  Then again, everyone's body is different, and there are no set times.  Only general recommendations. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

You can, of course.

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes but in moderation. I'd stick to a couple of pints or 2 medium glasses of wine. I've made 100+ blood and platelet donations and have never noticed any problems with just a couple of drinks a few hours later.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, once upon a time in the 20th century, people donating at the bloodbank would get a glass of gin there...

But why would you? Losing a pint of blood gets you a little high already, right?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Adam D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't know if I'd cut it that close.  Different groups make different recommendations, from 8 hours all the way out to 24 hours. 

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don’t care if you can or cannot.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not recommended, I know from personal experience.

• 1 month ago

You are physically able to, as in you will be able to lift the glass, but I'd recommend 24 hours (the same for heavy lifting).  It can vary per person, so some people will say 2 hours is long enough, but I don't know you personally, so I'm going with the recommended.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.