yan asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Are purebreds bad?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Yes, they wear sunglasses at night and smoke weed when everyone is at work

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 5 months ago

Not at all, now each breed has certain chronic ailments that even mixes can have. It's just in light of the homeless dog problem, some of the dog adoption radicals seem to think so, I don't. In fact I adopted my boy/girl Shih Tzu's from a lady that had passed away and her nephew couldn't keep them, so I took them.

• 5 months ago

• "Are purebreds bad?"

[yan] who should be [Yan]:

That is useless as a question - You need to THINK a lot more before typing.

At present it is as hopelessly VAGUE as:

Are ants bad?

Are boys bad?

Are cross-breds bad?

Are deer bad?

Are eels bad?

Are fish bad?

Are girls bad?

Are mongrels bad?

🐕‍🦺 I'll start by pointing out that I avoid the word "purebred" as much as possible.

★ SOME people think it means "Has a registered pedigree going back at least 4 generations".

★ SOME people think it means "Has a registered pedigree going back to at least the year 1900".

★ SOME people think it means "It LOOKS as though both parents are the same breed".

★ SOME people think it means "It LOOKS more like THIS breed than any other BREED".

🦊 When it comes to dog BREEDS, what counts first is whether their ancestry is REGISTERED with that nation's ONE internationally-accepted kennel club.

🐩 The next thing that counts is "Are these individuals typical of the breed's International Standard?"

There are dog breeds such as my nation's NZ Huntaway that are not "typey" enough yet, and/or not numerous enough yet, to be accepted as a BREED outside their own nation. There are about 300 such "near-breeds" recorded with the FCI (the world authority on dog breeds) but not yet listed as actual BREEDS nor even as on a PROVISIONAL basis. http://www.fci.be/en/nomenclature/ lists the recognised breeds and provisional breeds. If you click: http://www.fci.be/en/members/ you will see that, apart from nations too poor to bother with conformation shows and obedience trials, the whole world EXCEPT Britain, Canada, the USA is a member of the FCI.

🦮 What also counts very strongly is WHO planned the mating, WHICH dog & bìtch were mated (their attitudes, characters, genetic health, structure, trainability), how well the bìtch was cared for and how well her pups were fed & reared, and how competent the BUYER was at rearing & training a pup for that breed's adult functions.

If you were trying to get us to compare (1) a dog that is an actual BREED with (2) a dog that is unregisterable or a mix of breeds, that is a bit easier.

💛 A dog that is registered with the nation's official kennel club and its pedigree shows that

●1: BOTH its parents (preferably also its 4 grandparents and 8 greatgrandparents) have earned top show gradings/places and preferably a Champion title;

●2: BOTH parents (preferably also the grandparents & greatgrandparents) possess Pass certificates for all of the genetic disorders recommended by that breed's foundation club;

●3: BOTH parents (preferably also the grandparents & greatgrandparents) possess character certificates (BH or CGC being a minimum) and trainability qualifications suited for whatever that breed's function is (guarding, herding, retrieving, sled-pulling, tracking, whatever),

AND

●4: the PUP you choose at 8-to-10 weeks is calm, confident, curious, energetic

AND

●5: the BREEDER supplies a signed acceptable printed Guarantee stating what compensation you will receive if your pet develops any of the genetic problems tested for,

AND

●6: YOU follow the breeder's instructions as to feeding, housing, low-impact exercise, toilet training, followed by quiet on-leash exploration walks in safe places followed by about a year in a good training group getting COACHED on how to train your pet,

💚 you are unlikely to have ANY problems.

🧡 But sadly, MOST kennel clubs accept for registration litters from registered parents without ANY of ●1: 2●: ●3: ●5: ●6: ....

The German Shepherd Dog was the first breed to have ANY Litter Registration Limits - in Sweden (1.1.1959 - hip dysplasia, but just for GSDs at first) and Germany (1967 introduction of voluntary hip testing; an 'a'-stamp is REQUIRED as of 1980). GSDs are also the first breed in Australia to convince their ANKC to require as of 1.1.1999 that both parents to have "Pass" certificates for hips, elbows, and haemophilia A. In such as Britain, Canada, the USA: If the parents have kennel club registration as being the same BREED, every breed's pups can be registered as that BREED - no other requirements.

💙A dog that cannot be registered with the nation's official kennel club MIGHT be okay (my first boyhood Fox Terrier x hunting Cocker Spaniel died of distemper before the vaccine had reached my nation. His replacement a year later was vaccinated and was fine), but if there is no registered pedigree you are unlikely to get ANY of the safeguards and Guarantee👹 -

🧡all you are left with is ●4: plus (if you are sensible) getting coached in a good training group.

If you want a more definite answer, you will need to decide what details you need to add so that other people can read EXACTLY what you are asking.

Then click the [Edit] under your question, click the [Add Update] that will pop up, then start typing into the empty area that will appear.

Meantime, I hope you realise that you are expected to choose the BEST Answer (Verizon > Oath have stupidly renamed it "Favorite Answer", which is a VERY different thing!). It should be possible to choose inside a week - certainly inside a fortnight. Doing so also rewards you, by refunding 3 of the 5 points it cost to ask your question.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Attachment image
  • 5 months ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2564373/Th...

I suggest you read this article, assuming you think mix-breeding is better than breeding 'A BREED'.

It does depend on whether you want a dog for a specific reason, in which case, provided you find a reputable caring and experienced breeder of your chosen breed, you stand more chance of getting a healthy, well balanced animal physically and mentally.   Typical of it's breed.   But then it's up to you to nurture the puppy so it achieves the best it can, and lives a long and healthy life.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

No. But they do signify snobbery.

• ...Show all comments
    • Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I'd love to know what you think is 'snobbish' about anybody wanting to live with a typical example of his/her breed with traits that are expected.   Not a crap shoot as is said here.

• 5 months ago

No not particularly

• 5 months ago

Well, this is a totally ridiculous question isn't it?  Purebreds from a reputable breeder who does all the necessary health tests and provides a written health guarantee?  Please explain why you seem to think that would be bad!  I wouldn't have anything else.

• 5 months ago

No, they are good, provided that they come from a reputable breeder vs. a backyard breeder, and given that the buyer has done their homework and chooses a bred that will fit into their lifestyle and expectations.

• 5 months ago

No they are not.

Mixes are NOT healthier either.   Purebreds are consistent, so there is a set list of diseases that are common within each particular breed.

Mixes are a CRAPSHOT of genetics, and would be prone to the diseases for each breed in its mix

• 5 months ago

They are not bad, whatever that means but they do tend to have more health problems that mixed breeds. Some more so than others. 

• Nekkid Truth!
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

That is a myth that has been dispelled

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.