promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

What does it mean if someone won't tell you who they are pregnant by?

My younger sister who is 18 and still in high school is pregnant and my mom is really upset about it. She's even more upset that she won't tell her who the father is. She won't even tell me and she usually tells me everything.  She wasn't dating anyone to our knowledge so this happened all of a certain. I keep trying to tell her that he needs to step up and take responsibility but she keeps saying she can do it on her own. But why would anyone especially a teenager be so secretive about something so important? 

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Some women don't tell for many different reasons. A woman I know didn't tell her daughter who the father was till many years later. She kept it a secret because she was embarrassed and ashamed she didn't even know the man's name. She met him late one night while walking home. He offered her a ride and she got in without thinking because back then in the 70s many hitchhiked. The man offered her beer and they pulled over. Well, she got pregnant that night. She never saw him again. She said she acted out of her usual character that night and even today ashamed.

Other reasons can be rape, incest rape by a family member, having multiple sex partners, sleeping with someone else boyfriend/husband or just being stubborn and wants to keep him a secret.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

she doesn't want her dad to get in trouble...

• 1 month ago

Maybe she could speak with someone out of the family. This person could advise her.

• 1 month ago

Lots of reasons: a sexual assault, wanting to protect the other person, fear of the other person, possibly not knowing who the father is (multiple partners or having been under the influence)... she's eighteen, let her have her reasons and just be supportive.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Probably her bf has told her not to say, as he will be in major trouble too.

• edward
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe she’s an easy girl and doesn’t know who the father is

• 1 month ago

Maybe she was raped. Or maybe it's a family member or family friend. Or maybe it's a much older guy who seduced her. Or maybe she doesn't know because she was drunk or it was at a party, or because she had sex with more than one guy.

Or maybe she doesn't want him involved because she sees him as dangerous.

I'd suggest getting counseling for her. She may need to talk this out.

• 1 month ago

Maybe she doesn't know who the father is.

• helene
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because it's probably a family member, or someone else you would never ever suspect.

• 1 month ago

Many people are afraid of the truth.  Mostly they are afraid of people's judgment and/or revealing their lack of it.  People have a right to withhold information if they want but if she really wants to go it alone then she's going to have to really go it alone.  That would just make a bad situation worse.  Stubbornness and fear are human faults.  They are common but not usually very helpful.

It sounds like she wants it both ways, a nice comfortable home provided for her but the illusion of being an independent adult.  She needs to grow up a bit.  And fast.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.