I went to jail and my car got impounded. I let someone get it out by having the jail fax a paper with my approval, signature and notarized.?

I got out a couple year’s later and they have the vehicle still. I never got the title from the owner but he knows who I am and that I bought it (he went to prison and I couldn’t get the title shortly before I didn’t) 

The people I released it to had an agreement that i pay the towing fee of what they paid and I can have it back. Well they are claiming I gave it to them and have been in contact with the owner trying to file for a lost title completely cutting me out of my own car. I no where said they could have it. What should I do. Also if i tried to get my car back they would get mad and retaliate. They already stole everything I owned and sold or traded for drugs when I went away..and get mad when i confront  them about it and deny doing it. I’m very pissed off about their lies and actions but don’t know what I should do..

Did you bother to see if the impound has a daily storage fee?  Some businesses will charge anywhere between sixty to one hundred dollars.  Multiply that times two years can add up.  Still want the car?

The police try and get away with what they can it is a fact

It's not your car and it never was your car.  You failed to complete the purchase. 

If you have proof of payment (copy of a deposited check or a money order receipt or a bill of sale) you could sue the owner.   He owes you the title or he owes you a refund.

Bad news...it was never your car if it was not titled in your name.

You go to the owner of the vehicle and tell them you had no such deal and that the title comes to you. Then you get it done and you go get your car., And pay them the tow money.

Cut your losses. Its a used car that is now even more used.. Its value is not worth fighting over.