David asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

Should we allow boys to wear girl style leotards and tights to dance classes?

I'm a boy and have been taking ballet classes for years. I recently tried on girls leotard and tights and found them must more comfortable and better looking than boys dance clothes. For one, girls leotard goes over the tights, which can hold tights in place; and girls tights are thinner and stretchier, a lot more comfortable. Boys clothes only have black and white, and only one style, but girls have all sorts of nice bright colors, and a TON of designing choices. I have started wearing typical "girl" dancewear to classes (I go for more neutral designs such as solid color and cap sleeves, not those overly girly styles such as lace fabrics and spaghetti straps). Our teacher likes it too as "girls" leotard makes it easier to see my posture and easier for the teachers to correct my leg/hip positions. With boys black tights, teaches have to really come close to see if we are doing it right, but with girls leo/white tights, they see it right away. Should we allow (or even encourage) boys to embrace girls dancewear styles for fashion and practical reasons?

No, it would look very odd and the world is getting odder and odder with what boys wear.

No, not encourage it but if it holds your privates tightly enough and your teacher allows it, go ahead. Just don't be advertising it. And the men should wear black or white. They don't wear colors on state. The prince or whatever your position will be - there is a classic and expected costume for the position and the dance, so stick with the appropriate colors.

Source(s): Ballet, for many years.
    • mintchips49

in any serious school girl or boy dancers can not where colors unless the levels are specifically color coded. Standard ballet attire is black leo for girls with ballet pink tights.  For men black bottoms ( tights or ballet shorts) with a white or black tee shirt or leotard. 

Nobody is denying them the use for that. Why are you asking if we SHOULD allow it?

• mintchips49

Schools have dress codes. Men cannot wear lady’s leo and tights in class as it isn't  appropriate. Especially since they need to wear a men’s dancebelt under it. This question is a troll. 

Please stop trolling with this nonsense! If you are wearing a dancebelt which is mandatory for boys in ballet for both safety and modesty, you cannot wear girls tights and leotards because there isn't room. Also, leotards over tights do not hold anything in place for girls. That’s why in partnering most girls wear their tights over the leo like the men do so it doesn’t ride up. Men’s tights are not usually full seated so saying it's easier to see your posterior  is nonsense. Men’s leos and tights come in all colors too. Most serious schools or even semi serious have dress codes. This sounds like a clothing fetish to me. Not buying this as real. Especially since there was an old account also called “David” that would post about wearing girls leotards and tights all the time a few years ago.  He never took ballet classes but just like to wear the clothing. If you enjoy that fine. But don’t preface it with saying you take ballet when it is obvious that you don’t from this post. 

• mintchips49

MaKayla. I comment to correct misinformation when I have to. I don’t comment if it isn’t necessary, 

I don't see a problem with it. If it's more comfortable and allows you to perform better, then you should absolutely be allowed to wear it. I don't think it should be encouraged for boys who prefer to wear boy's dance clothing, but they should have the option. It would be ideal if companies manufactured girl's style leotards for boys, like different designs and with short sleeves or something.

Who says you can’t wear leotards. You can wear whatever you like. 

• mintchips49

Schools have dress codes. Men need to wear a dancebelt under their tights for both protection and modesty. Girls dancewear doesn’t allow room for that.