Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Why am I easily running out of breath during cardio ?

I'm 21 years old and I have been working out for a month to get in shape to try to join the Army. I worked up to running 4 miles in 38 minutes when before I would throw up from running a 13 minute mile. I usually run Monday through Friday and take the weekends off. But this week I have been feeling really weak. I'm barley able to run 3 miles and my mile time has been around 11 to 12 minutes. I would also use the eliptical and normally I would be able to knock out 4 miles on a resistance level of 17 and 18 in under 40 minutes but today I was barley able to do 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. My brother said my body is probably burnt out since I have been pushing myself pretty  hard, I managed to lose 15 pounds in a month. 

Barring illness, or not allowing enough time between eating and running, throwing up from running indicates you've been running very hard. Running that hard 5 days a week is a recipe for burnout. And a sudden decline in exercise capability is a symptom of burnout.

Also, your rate of weight loss is very high. For safety, people who are overweight and otherwise healthy should limit weight loss to no more than 2 pounds per week. A loss of 15 pounds in one month is 3.5 pounds a week.

Your best way to recover from this is to start by discussing this with your physician. 

• .

We don't know you so can only guess:

Not eating enough to support your level of activity

Not hydrating enough to support your amount of fluid loss

Not sleeping enough to provide your body with enough rest

An illness or medical condition

.

Try running every other day, doing strength training on the opposing days, and giving yourself 1 or 2 days of rest (no structured exercise).

Quit vaping! Running isn't good for your knees or ankles anyway.