Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

What has happened the the Senior Citizens section of Yahoo Answers. New questions are very rare these days?

It was not at all like this some years ago when I first started using the website. I'm wondering if most of the names I remember, who posted regularly, have passed away.

The nature of the beast could suggest people are dropping off their perch, but a lot of us are just struggling to get through the Winter months - much as that should leave more time to play on here!!

I don't think the drop off is limited to this section however - we see more and more trolls in every area just now, and that's putting many people off bothering with this place.

• Judith

I seldom answer questions in this section anymore because it seems that the trolls and/or stupid people have taken it over.

Dues to the changes Yahoo makes on this format it is no wonder why some ppl have left or quit asking questions. Plus some still keep getting reported for chat. So that could be the r  reason, or they move on to other websites FB.

• Snid

I'll be some have died but I think mostly people have just lost interest.  I know many complained when we had to check the pictures before we could post our answer.  Myself, I come and go instead of checking in nearly every day as in the past.

Probable like other new things going around. It gets old after a while and then boring. I remember when I got on this sight some 10 years ago, it was full of funny questions and equally funny answers, but the fizzle isn't there anymore. Now it's more like, "Hi, is everyone still here OK today? Have a great day!

Thats very possible that they are no longer with us. I am a senior and dont see many questions on here in that group. They probably have blended in with other groups.

• Jojo

It`s  happening on a lot of sections of Y/A`s, not just the Senior Citizens section. The fact many members post questions and answers as  ANONYMOUS has put a whole lot of people off of this site. Also Trolls misuse this feature and hide behind it. Most of us like to  know just who we are dealing with and dislike answering to who may be just anyone , as we get to know and trust genuine members who post with a real profile.

Now well over 60% of members on my favourite section (dogs) post as as anonymous and it is sometimes difficult to determine if they are genuine or not.

The sooner this feature is binned, the better. 

A decade ago, when this site was on the green formula, questions came thick and fast. If someone wanted to be anonymous it was difficult to do so completely. But now anyone can Troll or post `iffy` questions and we have no inkling just who it is. 

Even genuine questions are asked under the anonymous profile, and one has to wonder WHY!! 

Everyone is basically anonymous by creating an individual profile but if seen regularly become well known and accepted. But not so with anonymous profiles, where no-one can even click onto their information page. 

I have no idea who YOU are by the way, and WHY you see fit to post anonymously when your question appears quite legit and not insulting etc. !! Jmo.

• Verulam 1

I'd agree re Anon although I have been guilty of using that feature if I feel the need not to make myself known!!    It happens.

It seems to me it's always been pretty slow here.  But yes, I think several users have died or are no longer physically or mentally up to being on here. 

• Zirp

because there aren't many legit (non-chat) questions for which it is the obvious category.

Years ago the site was filled by idiots who thought that posting questions is the whole point of the site.

The truth is that if a legit question has been posted and properly answered, there is no point in posting it again

(assuming that the question-search works, that is....)

I never even knew that there's a senior citezens board, I've been on y/a for over 12 years.!!!

• Judee

Well it's part of 'society and culture' and you are using it now.  If you look at the top of the page you'll see, in blue print Society and Culture followed by Culture and Groups and then Senior Citizens.