Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

how do you prepare salad?

i just have green leaves (rocket,watercress,spinach) with a tiny amount of olive oil (less then half a teaspoon).

i saw an american on tv supposedly on a diet,her salad was in a bath of oil with grated cheese, fried chicken chunks and two iceberg lettuce leafs..

she couldn't understand why she was not loosing weight.

are all american salads like that?.

"how do you prepare salad?"

How I'd prepare a salad would depend on what all I planned to use. However the real reason the person you saw on television by what you said wasn't able to lose weight, is the oil she used on the salad, and what you said was in a bath of oil. Oils of different types whether it's olive oil, sunflower, safflower oil or another salad oil, are very calorie dense. On average salad oils per one hundred grams, has eight hundred eighty four calories.

Long of the short she was seriously underestimating her overall caloric intake was. Just eating three salads a day depending on the size, and she could easily hit and even exceed twenty nine calories for the day. However I'd bet if the weight of the oil was measured and checked, it would exceed one hundred grams, and would be closer to one hundred twelve grams, or four ounces, from what you'd said. So weight loss will not happen, when that's taken in to account.

However with all of that said, all to many people underestimate their caloric intakes. This isn't something that's endemic to the U.S., it's something that happens on a global level, in all developed nations, and many developing nations as well.

Frankly, that is the kind of salad I wil eat too, but just not with the chicken. I never expected to lose weight from eating that, I just liked having a meal that way. (I won't even bother calling it a salad, lol) We used to have a salad buffet at the local grocery store, and I used to put all the yummy stuff on a bed of lettuce and had it for a meal, just because I liked the way it tasted.

yeah, sure, 2 leaves?

• denise

I usually get a bag of mixed leaves [rocket, lambs lettuce, lollo rosso, radicchio. Then I add baby tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped scallions with a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, splash of balsamic, sprinkle of salt & pepper; [ I shake this up in a lidded jar ].

• Jerry

Not all but some. Many Americans request the salad dressing on the side when they dine out so as to avoid an excessive amount of dressing. And I think most Americans understand that deep fried foods, rich cheeses, oily salad dressings are poor choices when the goal is to slim. 

• Wendigo

I'm one in that group, if I get my way, where any type of a dressing is concerned. Sometimes depending on the salad type, I'd actually prefer to completely omit having the dressing, even on the side. When I responded, I had to double check my memory, on the calorie density of oils.

Eating nothing but plants will make you loose weight due to the massive amounts of malnutrition 

iceberg is all water and nothing more

Nothing wrong with the chicken and and cheese, there's the protein you need 

• Jerry

If there's nothing wrong with excess fats in the diet then it follows that there is nothing wrong with fried chicken, with cheese. But most of us choose to avoid excess fats. 

• Fuhr

A few weeks in the gym and then some good road-work.