ARE SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES THE RESULT OF MILITARY EXPEDIENCY OR A WISH TO HELP MANKIND? IS QUALITY OF LIFE PLAYING 2nd FIDDLE TO WEAPONS?

It's the 21st Century, scientists have put people up there with the stars and brought them back safely, they have found cures for disease and developed life-saving surgical procedures. Great!. Then I read scientists have enabled mankind to amass enough atomic weapons to blow up the entire Earth.

When I read that I thought: "why don't scientists do something really useful like defy gravity and stop aircraft falling from the sky and killing people, or even control the weather?"

Some parts of the world are being flooded and others have not had water for years. It was recently reported that 200 dead African elephants were discovered; they had died of thirst.

• LP7

The Oil barons like business just as it is.They have purposefully shelved many innovative inventions that can help mankind.If there is no profit or it interferes with their use by date scenario it will never see the light of day.Jaques Fresco and The Venus Project check it out.

Science requires years of effort and work to produce results, sometime generations. What you get is a better understanding of reality, you don't get to order the results you want. So anti-gravity or weather control are not on the cards. There are not enough atom bombs on the planet to blow it up, and we have not reached any stars, which are much further away than we have ever gone. Shame about the elephants.

• Ed4 months agoReport

To cut through the nit-picking I will paraphrase my question's point. Why hasn't science learned to defy gravity, or controlled the weather?

It's not about what scientists want. It's about what they get paid for.

If the US military dedicated a billion dollars to restoring African elephants, I guarantee you there'd be as many elephants as people right now.

Buuuut, no. A billion dollars is what a stealth bomber costs. They'd rather have a few of those. So scientists and engineers work on stealth bombers.

It comes down to voting. If we keep voting in jingoists and pawns of the military-industrial complex then we're going to get more and more weapons. If you vote in someone concerned about animals, we'd have a more livable planet.