Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 3 months ago

Were you aware that US soldiers regularly shot unarmed German prisoners of war, which is against international law?

Yes and the British raped women in Holland that's why they hate the British.

• Lv 5

I was in Holland Nijmegen and Eindhoven After WW2 and they Loved us and if you are a Canadian they Love you More

• Who

Prove it

(You gotta be real stupid bringing internation law in support of german pows)

In war people die, allied soldiers may have shot POWS, but what they did was minor compared to the horrendous crimes committed by the SS and other German units. people got to thinking that the only good German was a dead German.

• F

I'm not suprised. It's easy to condemn such behaviour, if you haven't been to war, but it must be very difficult to treat someone who has killed half your mates,well. Additionally, mid battle, POWs are a real problem to deal with and diverting men and resources to look after them could cost you the battle.

History Qs belong in Arts & Humanities. What's your knowledge seeking question about a CURRENT event?

• Biff

**** like that happens on both sides in wars. I was told Poles fighting with the Allies were more likely to shoot German POWs because of things German troops did in their country.

Things like that happen in every war on every side, German troops also did the same to Allied troops. It's not right, but nothing in war is. 

This stuff happens in EVERY war.  On BOTH sides.  There will always be summary execution, rape, targeting of innocent civilians, etc. etc.  We never learn about OUR troops doing it because, as they say, history is written by the victors.  When it comes out in public news, either our govt. uses the 'a few bad apples' argument (Lynndie English) or says 'We HAD to do that, because . . . '

When you're in a war the name of the game is to win it, however you can.  Winning is more important than treaties or pre-war agreements or any vague, wimpy ideas abotu 'fighting fair'.  The sky's the limit.  This is why countries are so careful about controlling news reporting about wars.  I forget who said it but truer words were never spoken: "The first casualty of war is truth!"

No I was not. Since it happened 75 years ago I am having some difficulty getting really excited about this. I would expect anyone that made the decision to do such a thing is dead.

• Fuhr

I'm not going to lose any sleep over deceased nazis.

• David-19™

Not all German soldiers were Nazis, many were just conscripted teen boys, like Allied soldiers. My girlfriend's grandfather was in the German military in WW2, he was not a Nazi. 
      You might be thinking of the Waffen-SS.