Do new yorkers hate tourists?

Based on my family’s feeling that live in NYC they are annoyed by tourists because they stop all the time/walk slow ( New Yorkers are fast and always moving) and they add to places that’s already crowded, they know how important tourists are to their economy, irritated yes, hate I don’t think so.

• not at all in my opinion

I live in an area that has many homes owned by NYC weekenders.  We know when and where to do our own grocery, etc. shopping - and when to stay out of their way.  My former business provided live music for over 1200 weddings - only a small percentage were local, the rest were weekenders, tourists, etc. $$$ Our arts and culinary boom here thrives on tourists. Before I married and moved here, I lived on the ocean in Massachusetts.  When all the tourists went home, the water was the warmest, and we had a residents-only beach - permit only - and then there was no traffic.  I stay out of certain parts of NYC when I know there is going to be a mess - road races, bikes races, street fairs, protests.  We eat at the top restaurants HERE or in NYC on days/times when it is calmer.  When we travel internationally, we know what months that museums are closed; when is the best/worst weather/ and when it is SO SLAMMED that anyone with sense would be home, in their own backyard.  We are in NYC on music business about once a month or so - and we can flex if things look dicey.  We also used to have a timeshare in Las Vegas - and would check the convention calendar to avoid lunacy. Also had a timeshare in Ft. Lauderdale - NEVER EVER go there during Boat Week unless you intend to buy a multi-million dollar yacht . . .  If you are going to travel a lot, you do your homework.  If your area gets lots of tourists - take their money and smile, and avoid crowded places and times.  We go every year to Tampa for Spring Training - and plan/purchase WAY ahead with accommodations, flights, dinner reservations, museum tickets, and YANKEES tix so we get exactly what we want.  So does anyone with any sense.  So if YOU are coming to NYC (or the Hudson Valley . .) - welcome!  Have a great time - but do some research and plan things out. 

• Steven

Don't New Yorkers hate everyone?

Everyone who lives somewhere tourists frequent hates tourists, except those selling things to them.

• Mamianka

I don't hate them - because the next month, I am one in another country!  They come to where we live, because it is GORGEOUS. Or they buy art, go to concerts (mine!) or go fishing/hunting, skiing, dining out, hiking - and enrich our area.

• Mike

I understand that tourists bring a lot of money to the city, but since they are on vacation, they assume everyone around them is also on vacation, and they hang out in large groups blocking the sidewalk and delaying the natives who are trying to get to appointments.