How to nicely tell someone I can’t babysit anymore?

I’ve been babysitting for a family member a bit over a month now. Im a SAHM and my 2 year old and the girl I watch are only a few months apart. I didn’t realize how EXHAUSTING it would be. I watch her 3 days a week 12 hours a day the other 2 days she goes to another sitter. I mostly did it because since I’m not working it wouldn’t hurt to help them out and at the same time make a bit of money but i find myself SO tired. I don’t know how others do it. I think it’s mostly the fact that it’s 12 hours but that’s what I agreed to and they really have no one else to watch her those days. Also in the beginning they weren’t bringing her meals so I was providing breakfast lunch dinner and snacks and getting paid $40 a day I was already losing so I had to ask them to bring meals so instead she upped my pay to $100 extra a month for me to keep providing meals. Also she isn’t potty trained yet so she did bring her some diapers but no wipes so I’ve been providing that too and it does add up with 2 toddlers. I kind of feel taken advantage of but since it’s family and I don’t like awkward situations I haven’t said anything yet. Also this past week I was asked if I can start potty training her and they would pay me $100 which I haven’t answered because honestly I already have to potty train my LO and I don’t think I can handle it. So I’m trying to build the courage to tell them I can’t babysit anymore but don’t know how to go about it without sounding like a B any suggestions? 

• Edna

You don't have to sound like a "bi*ch". Just tell her that you're going to be quitting your job at the end of two weeks. That's what's usually done when someone wants to quit a job, for any reason.

I think no matter how nicely you do it, it's probably going to cause some waves and ripples and be uncomfortable for everyone involved. Probably start with deciding if there's a way you'd be comfortable continuing (they have to provide diapers and wipes, etc). If not, that's fine, be straight forward and give them some notice so they've got a couple weeks to find someone else. Just a, "I'm realizing that this arrangement isn't working for my family and I need you to find other childcare in the next two weeks."

Just politely tell them that you are no longer available to babysit.

"I'm giving my notice.  I am no longer available for babysitting."  That's literally all you have to do.

• sarah

"I'm sorry, but I feel like taking care of two toddlers at once is a lot more tiring than I thought it would be. I won't be able to continue baby-sitting."

If you have possible replacement sitters in mind, offer to put the parents in touch with them.

Tell them that because of other responsibilities you're going to have to cut it down to 2 days a week and can NOT work 12 hour shifts!  You should be paid at least $12 an hour. Anything lower and you're being taken advantage of.

You need to take care of yourself, not wear yourself down till you're sick.