promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How do you get heat to stay in your room ?

I’ve turn on my space heater and closed the bedroom door in the morning but it’s an icebox when I come home in the evening 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your local heating company may offer free loss assessment. Someone will come in with a heat imaging gun and find, perhaps, all the heat is leaking out of a fireplace or un-insulated repair. In older homes, the r-value (loft) of the insulation may not be up to code meaning the walls are not much better than a cardboard box. Requiring replacement or else facing fines in the event of a pre-sale inspection.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Start by finding a manual for the space heater.

The last time I shopped for one, all the ones I say had an 8 hour auto-off timer. Are you sure the heater isn't turning off while you are gone?

If that is the case, you need to find out if there is a way to set the heater to come on closer to when you return.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You don't without some major renovation such as installing a ductless heat pump, improving insulation, etc.     You gave us basically zero details about your situation.

You are going to cause a mold problem by using a space heater in one room with the door closed.   Just sayin'...   You are emitting moisture by breathing, you've made the environment warm with the heater and you've halted air circulation by closing the door.    Mold loves that.  

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you are saying that the rest of the house is warm, but you bedroom is cold, it is because you closed the door. The door blocks air circulation of the air in your room back to the air returns in the house.  Where the air is then warmed by the house furnace and recirculated back to your bedroom.  The space heater is not big enough to keep the room warm.  It is a common problem for those who want privacy of their bedroom and keep the door shut.  The best solution is to cut off about 1/2" or 3/4" of the bottom of the door so that some air can escape underneath when the door is closed.   Or, you could simple add a hole in an interior wall to another room.  Of course, sound will also escape so you will loose some privacy.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

close all windows and draperies. consider placing insulating board in the windows. Other than that, you've about done everything easy.

Less easy -- increase insulation in attic to at least 25 cm. [10 inches]

Source(s): granddad
  • LP7
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check to make sure your have roof insulation otherwise it's lost directly through the ceiling.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.