promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is this white fuzz when I unscrewed my light bulb?

I went to replace a light bulb today and I noticed a weird web-like, fuzzy white substance of the end of the light bulb. There was a weird metal smell, and I decided to use a paper towel to wipe it off (To see if, somehow, a spider did make a web in there). It wasn't. Now concerned, I decided to wash my hands several times and air out my room (Just in Case).

What is this stuff? Is it toxic? Because of this I learned the differences between light bulbs and plan to change all of my CFL lights to LED (This particular bulb was a CFL bulb, not happy now that I realize these have mercury in them). I didn't see any breaks on the bulb, but I tend to make myself overly-worried about these types of things though. Anyone have any ideas?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

    it was likely some critter, spider silk perhaps. bulbs don't 'leak' like that unless the fail spectacularly

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

    It could be mould. I think changing them to LED bulbs will lessen the chance of that recurring. I don't think it is harmful. Just wash your hands and use bacterial soap and put the used bulbs in a bag to conceal them before throwing them away to be on the safe side.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.