Soy is bad for men - Why would anyone want to go vegan when most vegan products are made of soy based?

I'm not vegan, but I do try to balance meat and vegetable protein.

I'm a guy, and I avoid soy like the plague. I want to keep my testosterone levels healthy.

I've been living in Mexico City for 7 years now. I have a lot more options when it comes to plant-based protein than I would in the USA.

I love eating a big bowl of beans. I can find a place that sells big bowls of beans pretty much anywhere here in Mexico City. Where can I find a place that sell bowls of beans in the USA? No, chili doesn't count.

People in Mexico City are always snacking on peanuts and roasted pumpkin seeds. I do it as well. These are great sources of protein. Yes, I could find peanuts in the USA, but roasted pumpkin seeds, not so much.

It's not just a bowls of bean soup I can get here. I can get soup bowls of lentils, broad-beans, kidney-beans, and chickpeas in many places.

I get a lot of protein from peanuts, seeds and beans.

If vegans really want people to eat less meat,

Why don't they offer more options other than soy?

You dont have to eat soy as a vegan

These days Vegan food is made out of Mushrooms and pea protein. You just got to do your research because there are many foods that are soy free. 

Soy IS big and serious food once you eat no meat!At least so is it for me,i am vegan myself!People are different though,what works for me isnt necessarily good for you!Are you vegetarian?

Where is your evidence that soy is bad for men...? And how is "bad" being defined..?

• Jerry

I believe that by "vegan products" you mean substitutes for animal foods like soy burgers, tofu hot dogs, soy milk? A great many vegans don't bother with substitutes. They just do without those types of foods. A big mushroom cap grilled and on a bun with burger fixings instead of soy burger. Grilled zucchini or eggplant sticks on a bun with hot dog fixings. Plain old meatless meals like pasta & veggies, sweet potatoes & veggies, beans & spinach, hot cabbage and carrot over rice, sliced cucumber on cold lentils. 

most vegan products are not made of soy. the list of all fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes and root veggies are NOT made of soy.Pre made crap often is though, and vegans can eat plenty without eating that stuff. Meat eaters also can skip soy easily enough. Just cook your own food.

"Soy is bad for men - Why would anyone want to go vegan when most vegan products are made of soy based?"

Now first off there are NO EXPERTS on nutrition in this section, other than the self proclaimed highly venerated, aged ancient all wise all knowing experts whose knowledge according to themselves is all encompassing, and/or are also experts in the fields of medicine, psychology, and psychiatry. Now I am not, nor have I ever considered myself in anyway an expert or a guru of some type where medical nutrition, or even mental health. Also I am by no means a vegan, or for that matter any form of a vegetarian.

Soy is NOT bad for men, contrary to the claims you and others make. Science has debunked the claim that the isoflavone phytoestrogen found in soybeans impacts male testosterone in a negative way. Instead of reading the opinions of this or that author, try reading some of the actual hard scientific research papers on the matter. Of course it won't matter to those whose mind is hard set to discount science, by believing that they and perhaps you as well, that science is one hundred percent wrong, and that further individuals such as yourself, are far more knowledgeable on matters like that, than all of the researchers on a worldwide basis knows and that you as an expert on soy, based on what you've read makes you far and way more knowledgeable than they are or will be. Of course another option is as one user put it, is that any researcher who states otherwise is incompetent. As far as those who want to go vegan, in many cases it's a matter of believing that it's not necessary to eat meat to be healthy, that it's wrong to use animals as a food source, that those animals raised as a food source are mistreated (most of that over ninety five percent, can be blamed on PETA, a dubious organization at best). Then there are many others who does so, for religious/spiritual reasons, as well as many other possible reasons.

As far as options for those who chose to be vegan or some form of vegetarian, there are far more than just soy based foods, or where soy has been added as a filler. You seem to be of the belief that the U.S. has a serious shortage of vegan suitable foods that doesn't include soy. Many vegans, as well as vegetarians eats more whole foods, in the U.S. and elsewhere in much of the developed countries of the world. So your claim of a lack of options is NOT valid, in any manner or form. 

• Wendigo

Yes I do know that, a fact which some people now has to read labels, for that or other things that there are allergies for.

Who is "they"? Here in the U.K. there is a great variety of food available for vegetarians and vegans, by no means all soya based. Too much soya may have affects, but most foods are ok within reason (not meat of course - I don't consider animals as food). Lobby the U.S. food manufacturers?

• Wendigo

They can't lobby the U.S. very well due to living in another country. They can however have with enough others, have their government try to lobby the food manufacturers here.

Fruit, vegetables, grain, seeds don't contain any soy at all. What you say about “vegan products” is simply not true!