Tippy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

If I walk behind someone, they turn around and fall over me causing me to fall too, is it their fault or mine for not saying I'm right there?

I was in a public place with moderate crowds and I was walking closely behind a guy who was standing and he turns around to walk someplace which caused him to fall over me and then I fell down too and got mad but he said it's my fault for walking right behind him without saying "behind you" or "excuse me"

In a scenario like this, is it my fault for not stating that I'm right behind him when I was or was it his fault for not paying attention to his surroundings?

It is wise to keep at least an arm''s length away from people in order to respect their personal space...and yours. No one expects to plow someone over when they simply turn around.

I say "I'm not a rapist, WELL I'M NOT...!

You both played a role in this situation.  You could have made this person aware of your proximity to them, and equally, this person could have created enough space between you so he could turn without impacting on you.

i think its their fault

His fault, the same way it would be if driving a car.

Either quit tailing someone or go around the person.

It is stupid to walk so closely behind someone when they can't possibly know you're there. There is no law that says a person walking along a street can never turn to the side or even turn around, and if you are walking close to someone you should always be aware of this possibility.

You would only say 'Excuse me' if you were trying to pass him. I can't think of any situation where it would be normal to say 'Behind you'.

Just btw, if this guy was, as you say, 'standing', how on earth could you be 'walking closely behind him'?

If you insist on being creepy and following somebody so close behind that they fall over you, I would say it is your fault.

i think its his fault for not paying attention to his surroundings

• martin

People often bump into each other, especially in a crowd. It's polite to say, "Excuse me," even if it was the other person's fault. The guy you mentioned must be on edge about something.