What are the most controversial Roman paintings, sculptures, or other works of art in Roman history?

I am taking a Roman Art/Architecture history course to fulfill a humanities/art requirement in my university's general ed. curriculum. I was assigned to write a paper about the topic of my choice. I am thinking of doing pieces of Roman art that caused outrage and controversy. For those who have knowledge of Roman art history, are there any controversial works of art that I can write about in my paper? Also, do you know of any online scholarly sources or books that I could gather information from?

I would greatly appreciate any help given. I have no knowledge of art history, so anything helps. 

• Ludwig

Certainly. There is a table piece found in Pompeii which depicts a naked lady lying on her back, genitalia displayed while a goat tries to mount her. There are many other such things.

"outrage and controversy" among who? The Romans themselves or the later Christians of the Renaissance and early Modern times?

• Inzan3 Gam3r2 months agoReport

Generally among the Romans themselves. It can also include anything that may have provoked war with another country or that angered an individual in power. Sorry about the confusion.