promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Which is more affordable to take a car for maintenance/minor body work — the dealership where it was purchased, or a repair shop?

Also, are mechanics at dealerships just as slimy as the ones at repair shops.  Keep in mind the repair shop I’ve gone to, my mother and grandmother have gone to as well, as they are an honest place. The owner even asks me how they’re doing every time I bring my car there, which has been very rarely ever since I got a new car at the dealership.  But now I’m debating on continuing to go to the repair shop instead of the dealership.  I know they won’t rip me off, but the question is whether or not the dealership will rip me off, and are they cheaper than a repair shop?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Good car repair from http://modenamotorsportllc.com

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Dealership will always be the most expensive option.

Ask around friends/family/coworkers if they can recommend good mechanics/body shops - then take your car to them and get quotes for the work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You're a retard. You start off calling Mechanics slimy and then you drift away like a fart in a wind storm talking about your grandmother and telling us they're honest. Grow theFuck up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go to the dealer until the warranty expires.  Go to the repair shop when the warranty is over.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Since you have a new car, if it's under warranty, you should have all servicing done at the dealership (or "a" dealership") until the warranty expires.

If you have any kind of work done at a dealership, even if it is not warranty work, it may void the warranty.

Most dealerships don't do body work but instead have a relationship with a local body shop. 

• 1 month ago

i would call all those places and then you'll know

• 1 month ago

Mom and Pop shops are usually better than dealerships or chain repair shops that have a huge overhead. As Jay Leno said so many times, "A starving artist restoration guy is the only way to go." In other words, when you have something truly difficult, like taking apart a car that hasn't been touched in decades, you can't have it in a shop that will charge you eight hours labor for each broken bolt that has to be removed and so on.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.